Aetna Inc. (NYSE:AET)
Old Forum Content for AETMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- bwcarnation1: $AET continuing to complete W pattern
- DrScience: $AET started at market perform at BMO Capital with PT $175. Bought back NOV 165 Calls @ 1.00. Looking for stock to get back to 160ish ahead of earnings on Halloween. Still holding JAN 155 Calls @ less-than-zero cost basis.
- bsafriet: @Bridget $UNH $AET $XLV yep! $UNH is back in the broom closet.
- bwcarnation1: $CI, $AET,$UNH, $HUM, $ANTM anyone looking at h/c insurers? Thinking about $CI above the 50d. Thoughts welcomed.
- steve71: @bwcarnation1 $CI $AET $UNH $HUM $ANTM My uninformed opinion is this. The insurers profited and their stocks rose from the ACA. Now Trump is going to undermine the ACA as much as possible with "executive actions". Fair is fair, that's how Obama did things. But this repetitive threat to funding isn't good for the insurers.
- Bridget: $UNH and $AET seeing a double top on the daily. $XLV is trading sideways on the daily chart. I would stay away from these until $XLV starts trending upwards again.
- bwcarnation1: $AET and most of h/c insurers lower hi. I sold will watch from here
- bRobert: $CI $AET mojo back
- DrScience: $AET back to test the 50 DMA after falling through on recent ACA repeal resurrection and abandonment. Aetna, along with $UNH and $CI are in few of the state healthcare exchanges, so I'm not sure why they reacted to all the political "stuff". Still, I'm keeping OCT 160 Calls covering my position, at least, until the stock shows it can hold above the 50.
- bwcarnation1: $AET, $UNH etc moving above 50d, no h/c bill should cont higher
- DrScience: $AET $UNH $CI, et al... traders not liking the latest political salvo in the ACA debate.
- DrScience: $AET $UNH $CI $HUM $ANTM, et al... indigestion getting worse. $ANTM through the 200 DMA, $HUM and $AET through the 50, $UNH testing the 50. Better take a position in Tums, i.e. $GSK!
- DrScience: $AET breaking out to new 52-week high from a 2-month long VS. This is a slow mover, but like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going, and going... FD: Long JAN 155 Calls
- woodman: @DrScience $AET - nice 2017 chart. Here are some other health care plan stocks looking good this year: $ANTM $CI $CNC $HUM $UNH.
- bRobert: $Ci. $Aet Hmo nh
- DAN: #HEALTHCARE $AET $ANTM $HUM $AET $CI These stocks are doing pretty well. Constant uptrend. If you look at the relative strength in $CI, you can see some real strength in this stock. I'll cover these tonight.
- DrScience: $AET beats estimates and EPS outlook raised for FY 2017. Stock traded as high as $162.45 in the PM, but sold off to 157.87 in the first 15 minutes. Now stabilizing a buck higher. Looks like traders were eager to take what they could get before anybody else realized the company reported. :-0 I was one of them... STO SEP 165 Calls @ 1.53 to further reduce my cost basis in JAN 2018 155 Calls (rolled from JAN 2018 125 Calls to reduce earnings risk). CMF has been showing outflows as the stock moves higher in a low volatility squeeze for the past month. But, since I expect health care issues in recent news to remain non-factors in the company's fortunes -- I don't think Congress will mandate pricing in any legislation -- I expect helium to slowly fill the balloon to $175 by the end of the year. EDIT: Weekly chart regression channel since before ACA legislation.
- DrScience: $AET reports tomorrow morning. Stock has had a great run since last earnings report, and the 2.3% volatility squeeze heading into the report guarantees that something's gotta give. Rolled JAN 125 Calls up to JAN 155 Calls last Friday to take profits and still leave the door open for more.
- DrScience: $AET still melting higher to new 52-week high. Earnings on 8/3.
- bsafriet: @DrScience $AET Up approx 25% since the 3/27 low. Hope you are enjoying the ride!
- DrScience: @Henry $AET down as well, but finding support at 153. Touches of the 20 DMA have been buying opportunities in the past, so we'll have to see how the rest of the day goes. Earnings on 8/3.
- Bridget: #Notes: $XLK - health care bill dead $HUM $CI $AET $UNH down, but $ACHC holding nicely $IBM - reports after hours $JNJ - bullish engulfing $CZR - breakout, $MGM also looks good $EROS - breakout $TRU - breakout to new high $V - making a run along with $PYPL, ER on 7/20 $RTN - has room to run, ER 7/27 $FB - new highs with many other tech stocks $TTMI - close to new high $RH - another new 52 week high $JD - W pattern $HCC - #ipo working $TRVG - working $AYX - ipo working $CMG - getting crushed again on news
- DrScience: $AET pullbacks to the 20 DMA have been a gift the last 6 weeks. Stock holding the 8 EMA in a money-maker pattern on the weekly chart, but the stock could rest for a month after breaking from a VS @ $135. If the stock doesn't make a new high this week, I'm selling some OTM Calls against longer-term position.
- DrScience: $AET still workin'. Money maker pattern... The Senate's "secret" plan to overhaul (R&R) the ACA to be revealed today -- Let's hope the revelation keeps the party going.
- DAN: $XLV -- healthcare is continuing its breakout. Healthcare bill seems to be behind it. $HCA is very strong, and $LH (mentioned last night) is up another $5+ bucks today. $HUM -- breaking out today. These are just some of the stocks that work in this sector. $AET...$UNH...$JNJ.
- Bridget: @DAN $XLV $HCA $LH $HUM $AET $UNH $JNJ Are you worried this is a buy the rumor, sell the news event?
- DAN: @Bridget $XLV $HCA $LH $HUM $AET $UNH $JNJ Not really. It's been a "rumor" for a long, long time...though it actually hasn't been a rumor...just something that is ultimately going to happen because the current system has imploded. And I don't think anyone truly believes that it's going to get done anytime soon. I think there's just a general feeling that "something" is going to get done...and that health care stocks are attractive relative to other things. But it's always important to start any position pretty small.
- spmeyers: @DAN $XLV $HCA $LH $HUM $AET $UNH $JNJ loving the $CURE (tight stop tho)
- Lynda: @Bridget $XLV $HCA $LH $HUM $AET $UNH $JNJ Bridget, I think you were wright, a buy the rumor, sell the news. I bought $HUM on it's way up before the health care news and now it's back down. I don't know if I should hold or dump it.
- DrScience: $AET Otto added AUG 150 Calls @ 6.85 and then turned around and sold them @ 7.10. Guess he knew what he was doing, 'cause the stocks been fallin' since just before Noon ET. Guess the secret's out, and, in the gubment version of the "telephone" game, it's probably getting mangled as it goes around the circle. ;-V
- champ: $AET @ $152.25 --- Aetna just announced that they are pulling out of Indiana and Wisconsin....dropping out of ObamaCare....not good.
- Bridget: Notes: Breakouts: $TWLO $PRAH $WTW $ETSY $PLSE $JBT $BSX $CG $CARB $CMI $CE $EVRI $GRUB $EW $HIIQ - phase 2 $XLF - still working $XBI - biotech is working and breaking out on the weekly chart $WYNN $MGM $LVS - new 52 week highs, $LQ alert at $15.40 $AFL $MET $CI $AET - insurance still working At a Good Buy Point: $VRTX $MTSI $SINA $DDD $PYPL
- DrScience: $AET gets a boost from RBC Capital -- PT raised to 162 from 147, outperform reiterated. Yesterday, Morgan Stanley started the stock at overweight, PT 162. I guess RBC was a little behind $MS on the spreadsheet calculation. JUL 135/145 BuPS working well.
- DrScience: $AET breaking from volatility squeeze to new 52-week high.
- DrScience: $AET new 52-week high
- DrScience: $AET money-maker pattern... walking the upper BB to new high today. ACA, AHCA... AFL-CIO, we're pulling out of all of 'em! Maybe... FD: Long JAN 2018 125 Calls@ 12ish cost basis.
- DAN: @DrScience $AET That's what I was thinking. Read that article the other day that Aetna was just ditching the ACA program. When you're losing tons of money, you're usually well advised to do something different.
- JBed: $AET Running up into earnings tonight, new 52-week high.
- SADL: @JBed $AET Earnings were this morning
- DrScience: $AET posted earnings (a loss) after merger fell through with $HUM, but somebody thinks the future looks bright. Stock trading to a new 52-week high this morning as the company contemplates pulling out of even more ACA Exchanges next year. No telling what the zombie attack of the new (and improved?) AHCA will have on the stock, but I'm riding till it bucks me off with a JAN 125/MAY 140 Diagonal Call Spread (cost basis: $11.40ish).
- JBed: @SADL $AET Well, no wonder! ;-))
- JBed: $AET relative strength in this weak market.
- JBed: $JNPR, $AET, $BABA, $CNC, all showing RS in my trading account today. I'd rather not discuss my other positions. ;-)
- Bridget: $AET coming out of a cup and handle
- DrScience: @Bridget $AET Fifth day out of a squeeze to new 52-week. high Earnings on May 2.
- Bridget: @DrScience $AET It's not at the 52 week high yet. $136.50
- DrScience: @Bridget $AET You're right! I dialed the Wrong Number.
- DrScience: $AET breaking from a squeeze off the 50 DMA. While there is still some concern about Administration plans to R&R the ACA, Aetna has been out of most of the state exchanges for 2017. So, while everyone hopes clarity leads to certainty of pricing, buying into health insurers remains a risky proposition.
- DrScience: $AET follow-through on Friday's bounce from the 50 DMA.
- vfr777: @bwcarnation1 $UNH I've been watching $UNH and $AET in the same industry. They are both at the 50d but it's interesting to see the Relative strength of each and see how the $UNH has been climbing while $AET has had lower highs and is lower than the $SPY. Buying a small position of $UNH too.
- DrScience: $AET coming in for a (hopefully) touch & go at the 50 DMA. Not that I'm any smarter than the average bear, but JAN 2018 125/APR 135 Diagonal Spread working well in light of healthcare bill fits and starts -- down $35 per contract. Now seeing some buying coming in, likely shorts covering ahead of the vote/weekend.
- spmeyers: @champ #HealthCareBill more for the hospitals; the insurance co's were mostly on the fence (see $AET or $HUM today)
- champ: @spmeyers $AET $HUM #HealthCareBill --- Do they own Hospitals....I thought that they pay the hospitals...???
- spmeyers: @champ $AET $HUM #HealthCareBill they are insurance, and didn't do all that great today (unlike hospitals)
- DrScience: @olveoyl $UNH $AET following the same playbook.
- olveoyl: @DrScience $UNH $AET Thanks...sure would like to know how this will all play out for health insurers? Any opinions, thoughts on this? I will watch $AET along with $UNH (long) for any sign of strength weakness...have a great day!
- DrScience: @olveoyl $UNH $AET I think that traders are factoring in latest news that TrumpCare legislation is on life-support, but that something better will come of all the wrangling. But, like you, I'm watching, and looking to roll JAN 125 Calls higher, keeping a tight stop on the rest.
- olveoyl: @DrScience $UNH $AET 125 calls eh? That's awesome!
- olveoyl: @Henry $UNH $AET Good for you on AET! I saw you went long again after closing. The chart still looks good! I will set my alerts...thanks! As far as UNH goes I am not surprised it has lower volume today. I think there is a lot of fear out there (wherever out there is) I was hoping to get a response from @Dan ...perhaps he can cover it in his ss????
- Henry: @olveoyl $AET Everyone should hold an at the money option right into expiry ......once. It's very revealing about yourself as you watch it gyrate from gain to loss and back again.
- Henry: $AET is within a dime of breaking out. long calls. Other insurers have similar or slightly better charts $CB $ALL
- DrScience: $AET I went out to the kitchen to fix myself a snack. You should have seen what was goin' on, by the time that I got back. Long MAR 130 Calls from yesterday.
- vfr777: @JJT1 $UNH maybe that's why $AET declined 2.8% today on sympathy!!!
- DrScience: $AET halted for news....
- DrScience: $AET doubles dividend $4 billion buyback
- DrScience: $AET resumed
DAN: Good morning. Flat open, but a few things to note before you start your day.
On the news front, Aetna (AET) and Humana (HUM) broke up on Valentine's Day. No roses were on the table, only IOUs. Last month a Federal judge ruled that the AET/HUM m ...
- bwcarnation1: $AET cont. up
- DrScience: @bwcarnation1 $AET Yessir. Bidding on JAN 125/APR 135 Diagonal Call Spread @ 11.30. The fish aren't biting. so I may have to change bait.
- bwcarnation1: $AET has p.b. from recent run up now back up to 50d. sq'n 6%, E/5/2. started sm position
- Bridget: $AET back above the 50DMA. Seeing a nice bounce on the weekly chart. Looks like a good buy point for a long term position here.
- vfr777: @Bridget $AET Thanks Bridget I like the chart and has a lot of room on top. Maybe a stop below the 50dma?
- bwcarnation1: @Bridget $AET I posted about this one earlier....also has 6% sq!
- vfr777: @bwcarnation1 $AET hi. didn't understand your abbreviations. p.b. and sq'n 6%?
- issues: @bwcarnation1 $AET Up due to merge deal with $HUM terminated.
- vfr777: @issues $AET $HUM Thank you for the update. It's performing really well today!
$AET - breakout out on news of no aquisition
$MRK - new 52 week high after flag
$GPK - gap and run on the daily
$TMUS - huge volume today but no new high
$SINA - continuing higher, but buy on the dips
$CBI - coming out of a squeeze on volume
- bsafriet: @Bridget $TUSK $SND $BGNE $LITE $TTD $ATH $RACE $LW $DVMT $ARNC $PTHN $OCLR $BEAT $GT $FCAU $AET $MRK $GPK $TMUS $SINA $CBI $SLCA $HCLP $XRT $KATE $TJX $GRPN $FLIR $AGX $SQ Txs for the synopsis Bridget. Appreciate your hard work and communication skills. Makes it easier for all of us. Hope we can return the favor one day! Bruce
I looked at some big funds, like Janus Global Sci Fund and they list these: $AMGN $LLY $BMY $AET $CELG $BSX $AGN $REGN $GILD (holding 1.9% of the fund is GILD) $ABBV $ALXN $ATHN... $IBB has a similar list containing GILD also. These funds just hol ...
- DrScience: $ANTM continuing higher after earnings, pulling $AET along for the ride. $UNH treading water, while $CI prepares to report in the morning, $HUM next week.
- DrScience: $UNH moving to the upper Bollinger band in a 4% volatility squeeze. Stock is about .50 below 52-week high after reporting a beat on top and bottom lines. The stock has performing well since earnings, but there is much uncertainty in the immediate future. Changes to current ACA laws should be beneficial to stock price, but drug pricing debate could hurt the PBM business. Cohort health plan insurers ($ANTM, $CI, $HUM, $AET) earnings releases begin next Tuesday, and mergers have been blocked on anti-trust concerns. A congressional self-imposed deadline of tomorrow (1/27) for repeal of ACA could slip into April, but announcements affecting the stock could be tweeted at any time. So, set your alerts, and buy a breakout above 164.
- Ralph0172: @Bridget $GOOGL $FB $BABA $VIRT $HD $MHK $HUM $AET $CI $ESRX $CVS $QCOM $AAPL : Thank you, always appreciate your updates, observations, and input.
- Bridget: $HUM is breaking down and it looks like $UNH is about to follow. $AET and $HUM buyout deal blocked, Bloomberg reports.
- Bridget: Notes: $GOOGL - making a earnings run $FB - also appearing to make a run higher, ER on 2/1 $BABA - breaking higher and reports tomorrow morning $VIRT - breakout on volume, ER on 2/2 $HD - breakout of a squeeze, nearing the 52 week high, ER 2/21 $MHK - also breakout from squeeze, ER on 2/9 $HUM and $AET deal is blocked, $CI, $ESRX and $CVS are now potential buyers $QCOM down on news of being sued by $AAPL
- Bridget: $HUM $AET $MET - all have been pulling back or consolidating. Squeezing tight.
- DrScience: $AET Seems that someone is expecting less upside risk than downside risk in the name. With earnings set for 1/31 and a judge's decision in February on whether the merger with Humana may proceed, Aetna JAN and FEB options implied volatility is around 50%. With an IV Rank at 100, volatility premium should be quite juicy (for an insurer), but the stock is in a volatility squeeze, and somebody is taking action to protect the downside by selling FEB 135C/110P Collar @ .15 CR over 7500 times. Other option trades however, like a FEB 120C/115P Combo @ 3.25 DB seem to think all is good in the hood.
- issues: @DAN $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo Dan half the benefit from the video is your mellifluous voice that has such a convincing, cogent, smooth, flowing sound. Anyone can read stuff on stocks all over the net but there is only one DAN FITZPATRICK and it's all in the voice. Don't even think of stopping these videos. I get a lot out of even the pauses, hesitations, emphasis etc.
- Bridget: Seeing some profit taking in $AET and $HUM today
- Bridget: Notes: The selling has stalled for another day, but still not a lot of buying. Looks like a short term bearish flag to me. Many stocks just seeing an oversold bounce (eg $EDU) Oil/Energy: $CEQP - breaking out on the weekly, slow mover for a buy and hold $WR - in a very tight squeeze, moving averages starting to roll over, looking toppy $HPE - breaking higher on the weekly. Still in a solid uptrend. $BWA - phase 3 of this breakout $DIS - now above $100, ready to move higher $DB - making a solid move higher on volume today after Italy news. $GMS - #IPO, new all time high but looking like a double top, ER on 12/13 Healthcare taking a breather: $UNH, $HUM, $AET $MRK
- champ: @Aragorn $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo --Is the party Over...?
Health insurance still working: $HUM, $AET, WCG $UNH, but getting really extended here
$IBB biotech not doing well, you do not want to be in these, also $ILMN breaking out of a squeeze down
$COL - hit our price target today, that went up faster than ...
- Aragorn: @Bridget $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo As always thanks Bridget. I wish Dan's notes were more like this then I could just read his notes LOL Thanks again
- DAN: @Aragorn $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo You can watch my videos, which accompany the notes. Trust me, I'd rather just provide detailed notes and forego the vids. ;)
- issues: @DAN $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo But Dan you have such a mellifluous voice: (def -pleasant to hear., soothing, rich, smooth, euphonious, harmonious, tuneful etc///
- Alexandra: @DAN $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo I love the videos and the notes help reinforce. Hope your shoulder is healing nicely.
Aragorn: @DAN $XLP $K $TAP $MO $PEP $NWL $SMH $XLK $QQQ $AMD $CRUS $IBM $ORCL $MU $FN $WB $QCOM $CRM $Z $USO $BP $XOM $APA $PXD $KRE $C $GS $BAC $PRU $DB $WETF $BEN $FRTA $TUSK $HUM $AET $UNH $IBB $ILMN $COL #ipo
I did ask Gary if he could do the same for th ...
7. $AET – also breaking out on weekly.
8. $HUM – back at 2015 resistance.
Shorts?: $XLP stocks
9. $PEP – broken stock now. $100 support is in trouble.
10. $KO – high volume selling.
11. $K – bad press.
- Bridget: Notes: $PBF, $TSO, $AEIS, $CWEI - big breakout on volume but still pulling back. Will likely be the highs we'll see for awhile $NTES - shot across the bow $ELLI - phase 2 $MAS - also breaking down with $COST, $LOW, $SHW, $GLW $ABMD - still holding at support $WB, $SINA, $YY, $TSLA, $WMB, $OXY, $TRP - breaking down out of a squeeze $D - inside day, off of support $AET - breaking down $YUM - at 52 week low $WCG - the one stock that is working $MPEL - breaking out higher before earnings
- issues: @Bridget $PBF $TSO $AEIS $CWEI $NTES $ELLI $MAS $COST $LOW $SHW $GLW $ABMD $WB $SINA $YY $TSLA $WMB $OXY $TRP $D $AET $YUM $WCG $MPEL Thank you Bridget for this analysis. NTES is one that looks to be short-able at this point, don't ya thunk?
|Stock Price||$USD 187.80|
Aetna Inc. is a health care benefit company, which offers traditional and consumer-directed health insurance products and related services, including medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, group life and disability plans.Request Video of AET
Already a member? Sign in here.
- January 30th, 2018 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- January 31st, 2018 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 91.83 20.05%
- $USD 250.06 10.47%
- $USD 243.35 9.37%
- $USD 187.80 3.80%
- $USD 27.90 6.10%
- $USD 220.15 7.39%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 53,000 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (53,000) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!