Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)
Old Forum Content for AMZNMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- bsafriet: @tejas7 $DISH In discussion with $AMZN for a wirelesss partnership and could announce a deal at a trade show this week. IMHO naked call sale is high risk, but I think you know that. Don't get run over by a steam roller picking up nickels off the street.
- Wolf: #luck Worst fat finger trade I ever made. Conditional order to buy $AMD and typed $AMZN. Good thing I noticed it. Actually made $1/share, but momentarily went into margin.
- bigbartabs: @Wolf $AMD $AMZN #luck ... don't you hate it when that happens And when you hit enter, it is exactly at the same time you realize it. If you haven't ever felt your stomach laying on your flip flops (called thongs when I was a kid)... its not a feeling that goes away quick.
- woodman: @bigbartabs $AMD $AMZN #luck - my classic maneuver is accidentally buying when I meant to sell or vice versa. Those are great. Especially when it takes me too long to realize what I did.
- coldevinc: @woodman $AMD $AMZN #luck have done them all grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
- DAN: $QQQ Definitely not getting an oversold bounce this morning. Rather, it is a big down gap at the open, and then a grind sideways in a series of relatively wide swings that are starting to narrow...with no upside resolution. Look at a 5 minute chart of $MOMO $AMZN and $VEEV for examples. I'm done doing anything this morning. Feels too risky to be taking action.
- DrScience: @woodman $AMD $AMZN #luck Really disconcerting to look at your position balance, think to yourself -- Hey! I sold that -- wonder why it's getting worse, and then... The fog lifts!
- tri2insite: @DAN $QQQ $MOMO $AMZN $VEEV Looking at shorts or puts? Or safely sit back. Good talk yesterday. Thx
- Robert1965: @DAN $QQQ $MOMO $AMZN $VEEV Thanks Right before your post I pulled my buy orders on $MOMO
- Bridget: @DAN $QQQ $MOMO $AMZN $VEEV I took half off my position in $VEEV and putting a stop on half my position in $MOMO at $40.50. While I like the bounce we see in $VEEV, it was my biggest holding and feel it is prudent to reduce my exposure even if I still like the stock.
- bigbartabs: @woodman $AMD $AMZN #luck ... my classic bone header... having a limit sell already set... the stock bounces up enough for me to be happy with anything there or above... so I change the sell limit, to a sell stop a bit below... change the price, and then forget to change limit to stop. Gone. Cuss. And with HFT, sometimes below the bid price, because of the limit.
- Robert1965: @woodman $AMD $AMZN #luck Did that yesterday meant to add to MOMO at $41.17, but sold the lot bought at 40.30, the other day then chased all day to buy it back. Now MOMO down today. Instead of selling 1/2 at 44.00
- bsafriet: $AMT Up today on rumor/reports that $AMZN may get involved in a planned $DISH wireless business. Price target on $AMT boosted to $140 from $130 by Barclay's Amir Rozwadowski (Bloomberg).
- rem2088: My account is taking quite the hit today. Profits in $AMZN , $AVGO and $NFLX all but erased.
- JBed: @debeers $WYNN $LRCX $RACE $AAPLis $AMZN Point taken. I'm also coming to the realization that I should trade mostly options for even bigger gains.
- woodman: @debeers $WYNN $LRCX $RACE $AAPLis $AMZN - Check the figures for $CC. :-) (Can only go back 2 years though.)
- debeers: @woodman $WYNN $LRCX $RACE $AAPLis $AMZN $CC ---I knew, as it is YOUR baby, that you would be delighted to point out our "guilt" stock. The animal shelter will be delighted with you and, since charity will probably be the last deduction to go.................. .....
- woodman: @debeers $WYNN $LRCX $RACE $AAPLis $AMZN $CC - Add it to my Yom Kippur atonement.
- debeers: $WYNN/$LRCX/$RACE-DAN- I don't want to confuse anyone with the facts but while everyone is obsessed with "just owning" Apple stock or Amazon for that matter, it is interesting to note that year to date, while $AAPLis up 33.79% which, by the way is very nice and better than $FB at 30.3%, $AMZN ,another stock with which everyone is transfixed is up 28.81% $WYNN is up 48.34% and $LRCX is up 43.37% and $RACE is up 46.10%---again, don't want to confuse anyone with the facts so, stand down, as you were............
- Riccardo: $UAA Sold at 50% loss sorry who followed me on this one. $MOMO long calls making up $UAA losses 2 to 1. adding $AMZN butterflies for this week expiration. $CMG waiting for a breakout to add
- Spotdog: @debeers $WYNN $LRCX $RACE $AAPLis $FB $AMZN I think that besides their car sales, they are doing well with the "racing" side of their business too
- basicind: $AMZN# any thoughts, just keeps going
- Hank1: $AMZN... Cuban had a lot of nice things to say yesterday on FM. New high. Raising my partial stop to 939.
- steve71: $AMZN It would be interesting to know if Cuban is selling into the little bump he created. I'm taking advantage by writing some calls above my LTH position. When people tout a stock on CNBC, it's not for the benefit of the viewers.
- cmaxwel1: @Hank1 $AMZN (Just sold, not holding over weekend)
- Sher: @steve71 $AMZN - Good point!
- DAN: $AMZN -- this is an important breakout today. Not looking back at $950.
- champ: @DAN $AMZN ---- Yes, $1000 could be soon but I'm in know hurry......?.....I'm just going to hold.
- judysteiner: $AAOI,$AAPL<$AMZN$TSLA--great profits today,,an super happy my daughter just took her last final and finished her freshman year at Thw University of Miami....wishing all of my friends here a great day as well
- CHOFF: @DAN $AMZN -- did you say you bought Jan calls? Why Jan and not earlier/later and at what strike? Options are not my strength but I'd like to jump on AMZN for greater leverage. From what I see for the Jan 19th calls you are expecting the stock to rise above $1041 by then, correct?
- traderbren: @judysteiner $AAOI $AAPL $AMZN $TSLA - great stuff! Congrats!!!
- Bridget: @CHOFF $AMZN we bought the Jun Calls. In $AAPL we bought the Jan Calls. Come join OMM to follow these trades.
- CHOFF: @Bridget $AMZN $AAPL @Dan said in the strategy session last night that he picked up new JAN long term calls yesterday.
DAN: $AMZN -- Echo. Interesting chatter on CNBC about Amazon's Echo. That's the futuristic device that listens to everything you say and is hooked to the internet. Really cool stuff. It's definitely the future.
And it's definitely not going to make i ...
- DAN: @CHOFF $AMZN $AAPL I misspoke if I said that I bought January calls on Amazon. I have June calls on that. I did buy some January calls on AAPL. $140 strike. (I wouldn't make the same trade today. I think AAPL is peaking today. Likely to pullback a few bucks. At least that's what I think. But I like AMZN, though I get the sense that it's up as far as it's going today. Top is $958. Ultimately, I thin it moves higher and I really think there's a lot of money to be made by trading options on it. But based on where it is right now, I want to see it hit a new intraday high before I'd do anything more on it. With options, timing is truly everything.
- audrina0904: @DAN $AMZN RE: Echo I would much rather have a closed based echosystem like Apple before I think about getting one of those things... Even then, I'm leary.
- CHOFF: @DAN $AMZN $AAPL -- Thanks but I'm scratching my head a bit based on what I heard in the Strategy Session last night from 15:05-15:30. You talk pretty detailed about it. You said you bought new calls yesterday vs paying $950 for the stock. To clarif ...
- Bridget: Notes: $WB $EDU $SINA $BIDU $BABA - chinese internet stocks up today $AMZN $SHOP $W - internet shopping still growing $SMH - new 52 week high, but lacking volume, $XLY at new high $LITE - moving up above $50 but on light volume $RL - breaking out, $UAA also looking ready for a breakout, $XRT up today $ENDP - breaking out of base on volume after earnings $PTLA - breaking out of squeeze on earnings $ATVI & $BYD - working, $GME also moving up into ER on 5/25 $AMAT - working
- stevef214: @Bridget $WB $EDU $SINA $BIDU $BABA $AMZN $SHOP $W $SMH $XLY $LITE $RL $UAA $XRT $ENDP $PTLA $ATVI $BYD $GME $AMAT You can add $JD to the internet shopping list
- traderbren: $AMZN - looks like its back in the drivers seat while $GOOGL rests.
- DAN: $AMZN -- helium balloon. Still going. A move above $950 would be a breakout that will probably have some real legs.
- nmw: @DAN $AMZN A move above, or a close above?
- DAN: @nmw $AMZN Close. That's what I think.
- rck89: $AMZN @DAN, @Dr. Science, OMM, SMM members Quiry: So when is the best time to roll a spread? Some time ago, I BTO $AMZN May 950/970 BuCS @8.76 db. I could roll this spread out to June for an ~ 2.40 cr. I think $AMZN is clearly an "up stock", but I'm worried about time decay on this spread, i.e. range bound stock, approaching option expiry. So when is the best time to roll this spread? General and specific thoughts appreciated!
- DAN: $AMZN -- looking at the 15 minute chart on AMZN...stock is really squeezing. A move above $945 will probably lead to a bigger move. (Not predicting it...just watching for it).
- traderbren: @DAN $AMZN - very wise words, "not predicting it...just watch for it" -- as am I. I've got some alerts set on the way up to hopefully take advantage of the move higher.
- retal: @GOOSE $SVXY #margin I do not recall what margin requirements are with Fidelity. But they are much higher than most stocks -probably because of the volatility - and tie up too much margin for me. So, I only trade credit spreads with $SVXY. Lately these have not been very enticing. I do have some 95/85 bull put spreads for May. As you mentioned in an earlier post, selling premium has been tough. I mostly have sold $FANG puts (monthly only) and $AMZN credit spreads (all way OTM).
- mikeo561: Happy Thursday everyone!! I have some vertical spreads sold for credit that will be expiring tomorrow. So, I want to sell more to keep things rolling. For the experienced option sellers out there, what do you think of these?: $SVXY STO 5/26/17 -134/+129 PUTS @0.70 $SVXY STO 6/2/17 -134/ 129 PUTS @0.80 $AMZN STO 6/2/17 -900/ 895 PUTS @0.72 Thanks in advance and have a great day. Cheers!
- DAN: $FB -- still under distribution this morning. Not much of a rebound. $GOOGL -- still crushing the bears. $AMZN...hanging 10 on the end of the surfboard.
- DAN: $SPX $NDX $AAPL $AMZN -- The weakness in AAPL and AMZN is translating into broader market weakness. Probably Phase 2 of the squeeze pattern on the $NDX.
- DrScience: $GOOGL displaying it's "Googli-ness" to an ATH. $AMZN... not so much.
- traderbren: #Fatfinger -- noticed what could be a fat finger trade on $AMZN - based on the intraday
- martyrb3: $SHOP Up 6% today on revenue beat. 1st qtr revenue up 75% to 127.4 million. Stock up 84% year to date. Revised revenue forecast up. Company has a point-of-sale reader that competes with $SQ. Speculation that it could be acquired by $AMZN, $ADBE or $EBAY. Long
- spmeyers: @martyrb3 $SHOP $SQ $AMZN $ADBE $EBAY me too
- DAN: $AMZN -- stronger than I expected today. STill outside 3rd Std Deviation.
- bwcarnation1: $AMZN up $20 no position sadly
- Wolf: @bwcarnation1 $AMZN BTO weekly 930 Put @2.00. Trailing stop to sell half of an oversized position. I think it bounces off 52 week high and tests 930 this week IMHO.
I can see $NFLX, $TSLA, $PCLN, $GOOGL, $AMZN going higher to infinity, but since SVXY is the inverse of UVXY, and that UVXY can only go down to 0.00, does that not imply that SVXY has a top somewhere? (On the other hand, being an inverse [1/x], as ...
- GOOSE: @mikeo561 $SVXY $NFLX $TSLA $PCLN $GOOGL $AMZN Mike, Thank you for including me in such august company as, @DAN, @Iceman, (My Mr. T), @antfarm, and @DrScience, for I don't deserve to be included. All I can offer is the observation that there is a strong correlation between $UVXY's & $SVXY's stock prices. You have asked a great question, and I too am looking forward to the answer. ;>)
- mikeo561: @GOOSE $SVXY $NFLX $TSLA $PCLN $GOOGL $AMZN $UVXY -- Goose: you have inspired me to write the opening and closing nomenclature for options buying and selling correctly. So I HAD to include you. $GOOSE BTO anyprice anyexpiration. Thx.
- Aragorn: @mikeo561 $SVXY $NFLX $TSLA $PCLN $GOOGL $AMZN I don't think so, they will do a reverse split on VXX and then there is more room for it to die. It is designed to go to zero so there is more headroom possible for SVXY and XIV etc. That is my thoughts and observations from the VIX continually falling and reverse splits taking place. If you want to make money be short VXXhere is the quarterly chart adjust fro the reverse split. Oh to be short from 2009
- mikeo561: @Aragorn $SVXY $NFLX $TSLA $PCLN $GOOGL $AMZN -- Aragorn: Wow! That's impressive. Looks like the call options I once had on $GS when I got shellacked. Thx.
- cmaxwel1: @Robert1965 $WDC $AMZN (still in $WDC what price to sell did a pop last night to 92)
- Wolf: $AMZN LoL Suntrust raised their price target from 900 to 950. It is at 952 pre-market.
- audrina0904: @Wolf $AMZN Maybe worse than that is that the fools from Pacific Crest have downgraded the stock.
- Wolf: @audrina0904 $AMZN I sold yesterday pre-market @960 and bought 1/4 back @952. Have a low ball bid for more @ 946. Should be interesting.
- mikeo561: @DAN -- is now the time to do some put selling on $AMZN $GOOGL, or should one wait for the gap to fill (if ever)? Thanks for hanging with us on a Friday. I appreciate it.
- DrScience: @mikeo561 $AMZN $GOOGL Selling puts on the gap up is risky, and as you noted, the gap could be filled before you expect. Because the volatility premium is unfavorable, you aren't being paid for taking the risk. Wait for a better opportunity.
- mikeo561: @DrScience $AMZN $GOOGL -- Thanks Doc. So how about selling OTM calls instead? Better idea? Less risk? Thx.
- DrScience: @mikeo561 $AMZN $GOOGL It really depends on your assessment of the stock's direction in the timeframe you choose. With it being EOM, next weeks' expiration could prove suitable, but since the companies have reported and the stocks are floundering in a $5 range, half an hour into trading, direction is unknown. Once you see some directional movement, then you'll have an edge in put/call selling. Until then, it's just guessing -- which is OK -- but ... It's supposed to rain this weekend, so I don't need one more thing to worry about. EDIT at 10:00 AM: Now you have direction, take your bear call spread trades.
- mikeo561: @DrScience $AMZN $GOOGL -- Thanks Doc. Don't say "rain"...... I'm scheduled to get a brand new roof tomorrow..... Yipee!! (hail damage about 3 weeks ago :-( Enjoy, and thank you again.
- DAN: $AMZN / $GOOGL -- both AMZN and GOOGL are impressively strong on this gap today...particularly GOOGL, which is close to breaking to a new intraday high. AMZN still looks like it's struggling a bit. I've sold bull put spreads and bear call spreads on AMZN and GOOGL. AMZN May 970/980 call credit spread. May 910/900 put credit spread. GOOGL May 950/960 call credit spread May 820/810 put credit spread. The only one that I'm watching closely is the May 950/960 credit spread on GOOGL. If the stock starts breaking through $930, that spread could be a bit dicey. I won't hold a loser. The winner on the BuPS will compensate. But no losers today, please.
- mikeo561: @DAN $AMZN $GOOGL -- Thanks DAN. I sold several weelys 1, 2, and 4 weeks out starting at 965/970 and higher on the $AMZN bear call spreads. We'll see if the "fill the gap" thesis works or if this is a gap and run. Thanks for your input and help.
- DAN: @mikeo561 $AMZN $GOOGL Sure, mikeo561. Happy to be here. I'm short the May 910 puts on AMZN. High probability trade. Hard to imagine AMZN falling below yesterday's close...but anything could happen. (I also have a small put position in AMZN to balance the volatility out. I'm focusing on the time decay in my options now -- market is basically sideways, so I just want to sell the passage of time). I feel pretty good about my positioning...but only that I'm positioned "correctly". But being positioned correctly doesn't mean that things will work out. It just means that I don't think I'm making any mistakes now. The market may wish to tell me otherwise. Though I hope not. ;-0
- mikeo561: @DAN $AMZN $GOOGL -- thanks DAN. Just so you know, your options course helped me out in one single, solitary point. On DVD 2, you explain time decay. I've read about 20 books on options and literally hundreds of hours reading websites and viewing ...
- bigbartabs: @mikeo561 $AMZN $GOOGL ... selling weekly monthly options... although I've bought a few call options over the years, I've never taken the plunge since all my equity assets are in 401Ks and IRAs... that restrict what you can do with options. I have Dan's option course work, and hope to go through that when time permits. Something to look forward too. Do you have a sense of where you do the best? Selling weekly vs monthly options? Selling calls vs puts? I'm sure everyone has had different success sweet spots... but just wondering what you (and the others) have found to work best for you when shorting options... Glad to hear you are making it work. Keep it up... I may need another layer of mentoring some day :) ... good luck brutha... have a good weekend...
- mikeo561: @bigbartabs $AMZN $GOOGL -- Hi bigbartabs: Right now and over the past 6 to 12 months, I've been selling vertical put spreads. Reason being (based on DAN's nightly videos [that I watch EVERY night] and looking at weekly charts of SPY and QQQ) is th ...
- mikeo561: @DAN $AMZN $GOOGL -- GadZooks! I talked about $AMZN filling the gap at some point. I did NOT expect that to be Today! Closed 3 of 5 vertical call spreads for credit this afternoon that I put on this morning. Thank you Mr. Market.... and @DAN.
- DAN: @Robert1965 $AMZN I assume you mean AMZN (changing the ticker on your post). Tough to have just the bull put spread without the bear call spread, because now you are directional. You don't have the profit from a bear call spread to offset the loss ...
- Upward1: @DAN $AMZN Thank you Dan I really would like the clarity
- Wolf: $AMZN Made more day trading puts than anything else. Improved my cost basis by selling pre-market @960.
- Robert1965: @champ $WDC $AMZN are you holding over Earnings
- champ: @Robert1965 $WDC $AMZN --- On $WDC I took profits yesterday in the PM because of $STX and I'm also ...OUT of $AMZN and if I had a position, I would not swing thru earnings....because of the price. $WDC is up $50 in the last 52 weeks and for that reason because they had, that great run...if they miss any part of earnings you will see a big drop, just like $STX had yesterday....but I usually swing thru earnings, between 10-40% on stocks that I believe... will beat.
- Robert1965: @champ $WDC $AMZN $STX Thanks I appreciate your wisdom
- JBed: $AMZN $962 after hours.
- bigbartabs: $XRT ... I wonder why $AMZN is not in the top 10 holdings of this ETF. Seems like a no brainer to have this as the top dog. Gee, do you think that $SHLD (#2) could be replaced with $AMZN? Whomever manages the tickers in this ETF probably wonders why they never get a year end bonus.
- spmeyers: @JBed $AMZN wow, they do rule now
- cmaxwel1: $AMZN for better or worse I exited at 908.12 last night.
- success: @Henry $GOOGL funny your saying that . . I was thinking the same thing . . just not sure if you do a May or June call to buy time and then at what strike price. . I was thinking a trifecta . . 1 share of $MSFT, $GOOGL and $AMZN and see what happens . .
- CHOFF: @tejas7 $COST I agree with your analysis. I posted on the special div yesterday evening and had the same thoughts. I suspect more buyers want in but are waiting on the elephant in the room ($AMZN) to report first tomorrow. Retail seems to revolve around what happens there although many analysts believe $COST is insulated with it's business model. I'm looking to buy on any pullbacks between now and the 10th.
- Wolf: $AMZN Down 2.00 pre-market on downgrade. Recovering now.
- billfumick: $AMZN Speculation.... I'm a huge Amazon Prime member and although it's "pure speculation" to ask, I'm curious to hear anyones personal experience. In the last couple/several months Amazon started charging "sales tax". Im wondering IF anyone has been deterred from buying on Amazon as a result of the sales tax now collected. #FWIW, Personally, I'm more inclined to "shop around" online for things as a result. Thx! #Long $AMZN
- Henry: @billfumick $AMZN Not me, it maybe state specific as MD started collecting taxes a couple years ago. No effect on my shopping but one day we will look back on this company as the destroyer of retail and local jobs.
- inthesticks: @billfumick $AMZN #FWIW #Long Hasn't deterred me at all. Sales tax is an eventuality for many states as Amazon expands their distribution centers. I buy Amazon because prices are generally lower, shipping is free and dependable, and the customer service is unparalleled. Always get my order on time and as expected, you can always get someone on the phone, and no questions asked returns and refunds is awesome.
- woodman: @inthesticks $AMZN #FWIW #Long - Taxes aside (that's a legal thing so you can't really hold that against $AMZN), I have found $AMZN's prices often to higher than other places I buy on line. I do still use AMZN when I find a better price there, but I ...
- mikeo561: @billfumick $AMZN -- Hi Bill: I also see the sales tax business that is going on, but I'm not deterred. Someone with retail experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "rule" is that if the company has a physical presence in ...
- billfumick: @billfumick $AMZN #FWIW #Long Interesting, I didn't know that they were already collecting taxes in other states. I'm just wondering if the sales tax would have had an impact on earnings (Even though, I'm clearly speculating).
- cmaxwel1: $AMZN (anyone holding over earnings on Thursday. Cost basis of $905.
- rck89: @cmaxwel1 $AMZN No absolutely not...too risky for me! If you want to keep your position, you could sell calls against it.
- michaelH: @cmaxwel1 $AMZN I will be since this has been a long term hold for me for some time. But I have short term calls I'm getting rid of today or tomorrow since its not moving in this up market.
|Stock Price||$USD 958.47|
Amazon.com, Inc., serves consumers through its retail websites and focuses on selection, price, and convenience.Request Video of AMZN
Already a member? Sign in here.
- October 26th, 2017 - 2017 Q3 Earnings
- $USD 35.22 35.08%
- $USD 210.35 34.28%
- $USD 55.82 28.85%
- $USD 5.90 -66.13%
- $USD 10.90 -62.09%
- $USD 12.15 -46.02%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 49,600 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (49,600) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!