Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB)
Old Forum Content for FBMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
1. $FB – This is flat. Don’t bet against it, but it is just wandering out of a brief base.
2. $COST – this is very extended and coming back down. If I owned it, I’d take profits. I wouldn’t buy it here – you&rs ...
- jeffslm: @bRobert $FB - I could not agree with you more
- bRobert: @jeffslm $FB HD and BA have gone up 250% over the last 3 years. CAT DE and many other industrials are also big winners in this industrial bull market. You don't always have to mess around with riskier stocks to get EXCEPTiOANLl returns and a dividend to boot. If you're option savvy the returns are obscene. The metals (XME) are next (weekly squeeze) along with financials.
- bRobert: $FB Amazing to me that FB eludes the growth stock list. I guess 30 -40 % revenue and earnings growth doesn't qualify. Shares up 250% last 3 years. Maybe it should get a tutor and work harder. Sometimes what's right in front of your nose. is the hardest to see. Let's also turn our back on BABA now that it's banished. A 40 - 50% /yr grower. I guess it needs a tutor too. When great stocks that rarely give you an opportunity come in, you should start salivating and PREPARE to dine. When it's hovering near $300 next year you'll look back and say "how did I miss that". Horrible weekly/monthly chart? I don't think so. Just a little breather from a 100% + . gain this year.
- bRobert: $FB MACD cross . ADX next. Added yest on 50d bounce.
- Ajax4Hire: $FB Bought $FB for $179.92; Plan to sell the $182.50 2017-12Dec-22_Fri calls for a little Christmas money before the year end.
- DrScience: @Ajax4Hire $FB Stocking Stuffer... I had a long post to help you decide on selling Calls against your stock purchase, but my interweb connection gave me the boot and I lost the post. So, the upshot is this... Selling the short-duration the DEC 22 2017 182.50 Call is more risky given the past two year's Christmas week activity in Facebook -- low volatility, 2.50-3.00 price range, plus weekly volatility squeeze and momentum indicators pointing down. I think you'd be better served to sell the DEC 29 2017 180 Calls @ 2.40ish. That gives you a cost basis below the 50 DMA, and some support in case the sleigh gets tangled up in the Christmas lights, and Santa has to use part of your treat to calm one of the reindeer. You'd be extending the trade a week, and giving up $100 in potential profit, but you might just sleep easier while the commotion on the roof settles out.
- Ajax4Hire: @DrScience $FB Much thanks for the analysis, I like that choice and can easily hold for another week.
- steve71: $BAC $QQQ $TWTR $FB I'm adding to some positions on this little dip. Hard to believe that Marco Grande won't be somehow persuaded. And his cause is hard to dispute considering the billions we are about to lavish on corporations.
- bRobert: $FB ADDED TO TRADING POSITION
- bRobert: $FB Low risk leap play JAN 2019 210 - 220 . bull call spread $2.40 . Max return 300% . with 22% move FB over 13 months. Break even 7% move Stop set to risk $1.20 to earn $7.60 .
- Cwaniak: @bRobert $FB Nice .... Thanks
- JLF: @bRobert $FB Following you, have bid in at 2.45. Seems interesting, thank you for the post.
- bRobert: $FB Corporate tax reform may goose the bottom line 8% or more for FB GOOGL. and several other tech giants. Not factored into the price YET
- bRobert: $FB Nice 60min chart to look at. reversal pattern. also 15min chart
- Hank1: $AMZN $GOOGL $NVDA $BABA $FB $TECL ... a strong close and we might have the resumption of their long term uptrend. I like that they're all trading above yesterday's high, but I'd like to see them close strong as well.
- DAN: Good morning. The futures are set to open lower this morning, with several of the tech stocks trading lower in pre-market trading. For example, Nvidia (NVDA) is down about two bucks from yesterday's close. This is important. The FANG, "et al ...
- ascutia833sunset: $FB, picked up $FB this morning, tagging 50day, up 2 days after falling 6.5%, up 2.95 off bottom
- Nepenthe: $FB Dan, you mention that institutions many times buy at the 50ma. Do they also short at the 50ma on rebounds? $FB for example, is now tagging the 50ma after falling below. Good buying opportunity if it should close above it? Or, a time to short it? I do hold FB as a long term hold in one account, and also "trade" it in my trading account. Just curious at to what you'd look for at this point, either technically or fundamentally, that is as a stock that continues to get upgrades but falters nonetheless.
- Forexpro: @Nepenthe $FB Hi, Nepenthe, I'll look forward to Dan's response, as always. One thing to keep in mind is that virtually all funds can buy stocks, but many ("real money") are prohibited from shorting. That would include virtually all mutual funds, and many government and "State of" managers. It's a considerably smaller pool on the shorting side. Hope you're doing well; all the best!
- Nepenthe: @Forexpro $FB @optionswealth. Yes, I do recall Dan mentioning that institutions don't short. I scribbled away hastily. As I now recall, he mentioned they start selling some, and then when it rebounds to a certain point, they'll sell more, hence the continued volume downwards. Thanks for your invaluable input.
- optionswealth: @Nepenthe $FB Not Dan but FB is again above the 50sdma on a yearly chart. The MACD, both the histogram and the trend line has turned upward, and while this is not a guarantee, I would take care shorting this stock here.$FB has rarely dropped below the 0 line on the MACD, look at Jan. of 2017 to see that lower drop.
- DAN: @Nepenthe $FB Hi Nepenthe. As Forex mentions, most funds are long-only. They won't short. But what you'll typically see is that, as a stock trends lower, it will stall out at the 50-day moving average. Never having worked for a large fund, I cannot say for sure, but I think that what happens is that funds that are distributing a stock will sell more of it when it reaches the 50-day moving average. If it falls too far, then they'll back off on their selling and let the stock revert back to the moving average. That dynamic is what creates the lower highs and lows that we see in downtrending stocks.
- tilman: is today a "bull trap", is all the profit taking/rotation over? i look at tickers like $TAN, $ALGN, $ADBE and I think bull trap. I look at tickers like $V, $TTWO, $FB and i wonder if these are buyable?
- Cwaniak: @tilman $TAN $ALGN $ADBE $V $TTWO $FB I do not think so. Just watch them.
- phgruver: @tilman $TAN $ALGN $ADBE $V $TTWO $FB They all look like bull traps to me. I see no compelling reason to buy any of them today. If, tomorrow, they open higher than they close today (assuming they close in positive territory) then maybe....
- champ: @tilman $TAN $ALGN $ADBE $V $TTWO $FB ---- I would also like to know the answer. At this high market level, its really just a guessing game. I would like to know if the Banks and Retail sectors are going to keep Outperforming and certain energy names, in sub sectors, could work also. Great question but know real way to know the answer but they all look like buys.
- DrScience: @tilman $TAN $ALGN $ADBE $V $TTWO $FB Bull trap? Maybe... Today is day 1 of the three-day rule. If tomorrow brings day 2, that says today was a good buy, but if price hits a stop below today's low, that says goodbye.
6. $FB – Still working. Shakeout? Lots of supply here, but the uptrend is intact.
7. $NFLX – pouring out the garden hose.
For you active traders with discipline, here are some oversold bounces to consider. Note the steep selloffs! Th ...
- Hank1: $AMZN $FB $TECL $V $NVDA $SQ $GOOGL .... Not today, but opportunities in the making i think. Come to papa.
- DAN: #ROTATION -- $FFTY $FB $AMZN $NFLX $GOOGL $NVDA Gang, you can see a rotation that's continuing -- out of tech, and into industrials/financials/retail. It is a pretty significant one. If you look at the FFTY, the IBD 50 ETF, you'll see a definitive break of support. On the other hand, the $XLF and $XLI are at new highs, and the $XRT is very close to the high of the year.
- bRobert: $BABA $FB Don't lose track of these. Next year these will be much higher. Scale in.
- jeffslm: @DAN $FFTY $FB $AMZN $NFLX $GOOGL $NVDA $XLF $XLI $XRT #ROTATION - Hi Dan - Can you provide a bit more commentary on this rotation. Do you think it has more to go and if so where should we be looking for support? Is too late sell or just hold on? Do you think it's too late to take part in the rotation? etc...Thank you
- bRobert: $FB $BABA Almost back to flat. Imagine that. Black friday sales in the best merchandise don't come that often. Add YY and maybe BIDU to the list They are offering LOW risk entries with very defined support close by. why buy on the high side of the Bollinger farther from support and get chopped up
- Cwaniak: @DAN $FFTY $FB $AMZN $NFLX $GOOGL $NVDA $XLF $XLI $XRT #ROTATION Hi Dan, I hope you have an answer for us. How long (usually) group rotation last and how deep it could be?
6. $FB – could superimpose this on MA.
7. $AMZN – Would not short this...but it’s probably going lower to test 1,100.
8. $NFLX – holding at $180...but the pain is between $190-$200.
9. $NVDA – broken. Short this? Maybe ...
- bRobert: $FB Gap filled today. Long term hold
- bRobert: $FB . $BABA pulling back to support areas. FB ?gap fill
- bRobert: $BABA . $FB opportunity developing for long term holders.
- StockMarketMentor: A Price Alert has been triggered for $FB Facebook Inc.. Click here to view associated video clip: http://stockmarketmentor.com/stockanalysis.html?ticker=FB&clip=94375
- Wolf: $AVGO $FB Starter positions @ 270 and 175.
$FB – likely support here.
Time to buy
Time to hold (and not buy);
Time to sell.
$ALGN – careful here. I would be out (if I was in).
$FB – At all time highs
$AMZN – I’m selling at $2000.
$NFLX – squeezing. Could buy at low end of range b/c it’s a defined risk. But still in a tight trading range. The February range lasted 3 months.. Alert $200
- StockMarketMentor: A Price Alert has been triggered for $FB Facebook Inc.. Click here to view associated video clip: http://stockmarketmentor.com/stockanalysis.html?ticker=FB&clip=94375
- bRobert: $FB Added more trading portion to core.
- bRobert: $FB Target 1 . $185 . short term.
- bRobert: $FB Still looking to add.
- bRobert: $FB High base breakout target . $200+. Long leap calls / overweight trading position
- bRobert: $FB ADX cross. Looking for ADX to move >20 . MACD cross and $ . >$183
1. $FB – good entry today.
2. $SINA – watch this stock. Alert $112
3. $AAPL – anybody think this stock will NOT hit a new ATH?
4. $GOOGL – tightening price range after a breakout at $1000. Likely continuing higher.
5. $NFLX ...
- champ: @rachel $SPX $DJI $DJT $MDY $IWM $NDX $FANG $FB $SINA $AAPL $GOOGL $NFLX $PYPL $SQ $VNTV $MA $V $ETFC $SCHW $XLY $HD $BBY $CCL $FANH $OLLI $TCEHY $ZTS ---- Very nice @rachel, very nice!
2. $FB – still drifting. Don’t anticipate any movement. Instead, set an alert at $182 and $176. You’re only giving up $3.60.
3. $YY – power play. Aggressive buy right here. Watch for continuation tomorrow. ...
- bRobert: $FB squeezing on 5d chart. Will add above $180.50 . Target 1 $185
- rck89: @bRobert $FB I've also been watching....$180 is like an iron ceiling! I'll also add to my options positions, if it pierces $180!
- Sher: Yesterday: $BYD – Added to Jan. $29 call position – Phase 3 move underway... $FB – BTO Dec. $120 calls $JD – Initiated Jan. $40 long call position – Also holding Dec. $41 calls Today: $EEM – Took profits on Nov. $45 calls – Still long Dec. $45.50 calls To keep things honest, taking losses on $ATI, $NTNX & $X call positions, which pretty much wiped out the month’s gains - No excuses, here…
- michaelH: @Sher $BYD $FB $JD $EEM $ATI $NTNX $X Question, Why so deep in the money w/ 120 on the FB calls?
- bRobert: $FB Next step? Decent initial entry if no position.
- bRobert: $FB intraday squeeze. Long leap calls. Added earlier
- Robert1965: @bRobert $FB what are the leaps
- bRobert: $FB intraday squeeze breakout
- bRobert: $FB sloppy high base. Trigger > 183. Target $200. Annoying unfilled gap 172.50 area
- bRobert: $FB Strong underlying support . remains above breakout area
16. $ETFC – holding in base pattern above $43. Brokers are doing well ($CBOE, $SCHW, $AMTD)
- bigbartabs: @rachel $XLF $JPM $BAC $T2100 $T2125 $SPX $DJI $MACD $DJT $CSX $NDX $JNK $HYG $GLD $YY $EPS $ESNT $SQ $GBTC $LRCX $BABA $OLLI $PAYC $NVDA $ROKU $FANH $CZR $JUNO $FB $ETFC $CBOE $SCHW $AMTD ... great notes. Thanks for posting this daily. This is especially valuable for our newer SMM members.
- bRobert: $FB Tight consolidation/wedge above breakout area. Forming high base. Alert >$183 Long leap calls. .
10. $FB – right time to buy? Yes...but is it an outperformer?
11. $TTD – very good example of why your first loss is your best loss.
12. $ROKU -- Squeeze continues. How many shares are short? Not seeing much. What are institutions doi ...
- bRobert: $FB To say that FB just tracks the SPY is plain wrong. It is up over 50% this year. 100% over 2 years. (SPY up 16% this year) Look at the weekly chart. Does this look like a stock that just tracks the SPY? It's a mistake if this wasn't part of a long term portfolio. Cheap valuation PEG < 1. You might not like the CEO, but you can invest in this or MO and give the money to charity.
- optionswealth: @bRobert $FB I took it that Dan was talking about the next few months and not the past or very far in the future.
- bRobert: @optionswealth $FB g This is really a great holding stock. Over 50% annual growth for the past 5 years. Try to time and trade every blip it if you like. The big money was made holding it. Huge mistake if you missed the move due to poor timing. . If this isn't a true holding stock, what is? These days it is one of the rare stocks where fundamental analysis goes hand in hand with outperformance.
1. $FB – This will just track the S&P
2. $AMZN – faltering here. Long term uptrend is still intact. Zell says that $AMZN needs to be 25% of the US economy in 5 years in order for the value to be justified. No it doesn’t. Th ...
- michaelH: #DAN $NVDA #Long term holders: I've listened to Dan's commentary and advice that long term holders who have a profit in a stock should take 1/2 off prior to earnings. Such prudence may make sense for the short term, but I must set forth a different v ...
- rck89: @michaelH $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long So are you holding your entire $NVDA position, into earnings tonight?
- michaelH: @rck89 $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long yes
- Lynda: @michaelH $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long I agree with you, this approach didn't work out for me. I sold $LRCX and $NVDA and I can't get back in. I am talking long term too. I would rather hold long a good stock in a good company and not be chained to my computer every day watching every second.
- RedLeaf1: @michaelH $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long Thanks for alternate viewpoint.
- mariner: @michaelH $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long For this very reason I've started to experiment with buying inexpensive out of the money puts which will be in the money in the event of a substantial post earning drop. I'm especially likely to do this on high f ...
- leb: @michaelH $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long Thanks for your post. I have been struggling with same issue with regard to Dan's advice I guess your approach would be guided by whether you consider yourself a trader and/or investor with regard to a particular holding or portfolio.I think most of the time Dan's advice is geared toward trading short or medium term and less toward long term strategy
- DAN: @leb $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long Hey team. I have no issue with what you're saying here. It all depends on what works for you. And from what you're saying, holding through earnings is working. That's encouraging to see, because it means that you're in the right stocks. 8-)
- DAN: @michaelH $NVDA $FB $CELG #DAN #Long Seriously, @rck89, @michaelH, @Lynda, @RedLeaf1, @mariner, @leb, don't let me sway you from what works. I'm sure that $CELG is just an outlier. If you've been holding it for 6 years, you're still up 220%...which ...
- bRobert: $FB Long leap calls will add above $180
- bRobert: $FB adding to long via call spreads . when >180.
- bRobert: $FB Next target $184.60 . fib . 1,272 extension.
- bRobert: $FB Flag over breakout area. Watching for move through $180 Target 1 $184.50 Fib 1.272 ext
- Henry: $FB Cramer having a stockgasm over $FB
- gwenzee: @Henry $FB Very cute,
- bRobert: $FB Retest of breakout. Gift for long term holders. Raised guidance for 2019. Corporate tax reform won't hurt this company. Long leap calls
- bRobert: $FB Positive retest of breakout area 177.40. Can use this as trading stop , if desired , instead of 50d 171.90 Still a gap at 172- 174 area. Long term holders, not an issue
- Lynda: @Robert1965 $FB @ 4:05 pm
- Bridget: Earnings after the Close: $FB $GPRO $RIG $QCOM $YELP $TSLA $SHAK Earnings before open tomorrow: $APA $YUM $CHK $BABA $RL
- mopick: $FB, anybody holding this over earnings out after the bell?
- Gmoore: @mopick $FB Yes, but I've owned it since late last year. It's beat expectations every quarter this year.
- traderbren: @mopick $FB - yes, I have a slug that I've held long-term, and will hold over earnings, but I may sell my Nov 175 Calls to minimize any risk since they are up bigly.
- Henry: @mopick $FB me, no guts no glory. Actually I looked at the various times I owned it and I never get back in soon enough once I sell.
- Bridget: @mopick $FB I'm holding short $175/$170 BuPs through earnings.
- Henry: $FB Revs up 47% sorry I can't type $1.59 eps
- Henry: $FB The wild west out there, it spiked to 188, dropped to 180.3 and is now 183.7, all in 3 minutes.
- champ: $FB $XPO $MLCO $PXD $FRAC $WPZ $BLL ----- Holding positions in these stocks into earnings. These 3... report in the morning $MLCO $FRAC $WPZ
- Mpower27: @Henry $FB sounds like someone just had to friend FB
- mopick: $FB, parted with some of my position in front of earnings. Big expectations.
- Robert1965: $FB Earnings 11/1 is it before or after markets, Fidelity is not giving the info
|Stock Price||$USD 165.26|
Facebook Inc operates a social networking website. The Company's products are Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp, and Oculus. Its products enable people to connect and share through mobile devices and personal computers.Request Video of FB
Already a member? Sign in here.
- Facebook hit a new all-time high today.By Bridget June 23rd, 2015
- Time to Friend Facebook (FB)?By Dan December 4th, 2013
- May 2nd, 2018 - 2018 Q1 Earnings
- $USD 8.73 29.19%
- $USD 38.48 19.76%
- $USD 57.53 19.41%
- $USD 15.90 -25.07%
- $USD 25.20 -18.92%
- $USD 9.99 -12.06%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 54,200 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (54,200) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!