Alibaba Group Holding Limited American Depositary Shares each representing one (NYSE:BABA)
Old Forum Content for BABAMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- Bridget: @issues $WB This downward move does not seem to be bottoming yet. The lower bollinger band is now expanding. I am looking at closing my puts soon on this trade but I'm certainly not buying here. $BABA also got some bad news today that I don't think has fully affected the stock yet. $EDU and $YRD have also not recovered. I'm not bullish Chinese stocks right now.
- issues: @Bridget $WB $BABA $EDU $YRD Thank you Bridget. I am looking at the chart and see a higher low/ higher high on $YRD & $EDU but not $BABA or $WB but see a pull back from the low . How do you know when they bottom? The chart looks like a bottom, is that a "false" bottom or what? Do you go by volume or what?
- Bridget: @issues $WB $BABA $EDU $YRD I usually use the moving averages. I want to see them start to turn up or see a nice bounce off a support point. I see the bounce in $YRD but this could just be a rest before a further pullback. The weekly chart is not saying to me "buy now. We could see an oversold bounce but it will likely be short lived. I also like to wait for the MACD on the daily to turn upwards, indicating an established uptrend.
- SierraJW: @tejas7 $ABB $BABA $GOOGL $AMZN $TEAM $CTRP $HDB $IBM $IBN $KMTUY $MSFT $RDSA $TCTZF $LCRX $LRCX (instead of LCRX?) $PANW $CHKP $MTN $BAC $C $WMB $SU $XME $NEM $BTG $CELG $VAR $UNH $RDS $GSK $SNE $HLMOX $UOVEY $FCAU $PNR $LB $VFC $MDT $PEP $CMCSA $NKE $UNP $SLB $APD $GE $SIEGY $HON
$ABB $BABA $GOOGL $AMZN $TEAM $CTRP $HDB $IBM $$IBN $KMTUY $MSFT PUK $RDSA (Royal Dutch Shell) $TCTZF. Couple of them are from OTC exchange
Tech- Workhorse stocks
$LCRX $PANW $CHKP $MTN They consider Vail Resorts in tech sector because it is using ...
- champ: @Bridget $JD - I have been watching.... as some Chinese names are showing some relative strength here late in the month.....watching $BABA @ $94.50... RHRN
- woodman: @champ $JD $BABA $NTES - Champ, among Chinese stocks, $NTES has a look similar to $BABA.
- champ: @woodman $JD $BABA $NTES - I will check it out.....I'm Spec day trade long with $BABA this morning and so far ...it's working ...I might swing 1/2...?
- Bridget: I've been watching $BABA ever since it came off the lower bollinger band. It is now finally starting to make a run higher. Will start here and use a stop around $93.
- TCW23: @Bridget $BABA out of options +20% from this morning's buy @ 94.25
- orpheusredux: I'm willing to believe that 90 was the bottom for $BABA and thus took a long position via FEB calls yesterday. Captures the January ER.
- janner0814: Happy Singles Day in China.. $BABA.
- orpheusredux: @janner0814 $BABA And how did investors play it? SELL the rumor, SELL the news.
- janner0814: @orpheusredux $BABA aka "head & shoulders" chart pattern. #AVOID LIST
- 1winkie: $FB $GOOGL $AMZN $AAPL $BABA Getting real ugly - is it anti tech now?
- orpheusredux: @1winkie $FB $GOOGL $AMZN $AAPL $BABA Yes.
- orpheusredux: The charts of $FB $AMZN and $BABA scare me here. I'm not a buyer. $GOOGL looks better but I'm not interested in it here either.
- dagdog: $BABA - Making a big move lower after reporting "robust revenue growth of 55%" ... something isn't so robust here...
- mahoney272004: @dagdog $BABA arrrrgh. Doesn't make sense except they said profitability isn't their priority.
- dagdog: @mahoney272004 $BABA Really? They said that? Must be nice...wish I had that problem! ;)
- Gary: #NOTES COTD: $BIDU – shortable $SPX – Distribution. One down…two catalysts to go. We need all three to move the market. $DJI – breakdown. $DJT $COMPQX 1. $XLF – banks still working ok. Focus on the trends. And avoid hope. 2. $BAC – zig zag entry point. 3. $JPM 4. $MS 5. $GS 6. $CMA 7. $RF 8. $OIH 9. $SLB – support at 200-day MA 10. $XME 11. $FCX 12. $TCK 13. $GOOGL 14. $AMZN -- shortable Earnings: 1. $QCOM – earnings 2. $FB – earnings. Oops. 3. $FIT – dropped guidance. 4. $WYNN – to 200-day MA. Alert $90 5. $BABA – down. 6. $PAYC – broken stock. Support at $41/200dma 7. $TTWO – earnings pop to resistance. Should be taking profits. 8. $SQ– Strong earnings. Alert $12.
- orpheusredux: I took small profits on $FB $BABA and $JWN call spreads yesterday. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart. But I just was starting to get that yiiiick feeling. Still getting my head handed to me on $ACAD but that's a long-term hold for potential success on their Alzheimer's tests as well as a likely buyout by a bigger fish.
$BABA – not safe here.
$ATVI – 11/3
$STMP – Earnings 11/3. Alert $100.
$ACIA – earnings 11/10 (week from Thursday)
$TWLO – still going. Speculative long before earnings. 11/3 (Thursday). Avg price target $45.
- janner0814: Regarding $AMZN...... #CURIOUS as to what transpires with their going up against $BABA in #CHINA? #QUESTIONSAREETERNAL @Gary $SPX $DJI $DJT $AMZN #Notes
- judysteiner: $Baba coming off the am lows
- vfr777: @Bridget $SINA thanks $BABA might be a candidate to buy it
- champ: $JD @ $29.45 in the AH's and it's up on News on 206k shares being traded....total shares for the day were 23.5M .....$WMT double it's stake in $JD to 10.8% (Prior 5.9%)- Push $BABA up $0.52 also....maybe they own part of $JD also...don't really know because they have interest in so many companies.
- champ: $JD ....OUT.... 1/2 of JD now but still holding full position in $BABA.
- DrScience: $BABA back at the bottom of the channel. Upgraded at Deutsche Bank PT 138. MKM Partners reiterates $130 PT and says, "Buy the Pullback." on soft data release
- Macdoo42: @DrScience $BABA @Dan Should I add a little to my position? Or should I wait?
- rokey: $BABA nice reversal..so far!
- rokey: $BABA started 1Q pos. at 105.75 with tight stop..
- DrScience: @Macdoo42 $BABA You could Add with a stop below $103.50ish
- champ: $BABA @ $108 - New Spec swing long this morning for many reason but the main reason is that they will be getting a lot of news ...as they get closer to "Singles Day" on 11/11.
- traderbren: @champ $BABA - good point. Maybe sell into "Singles Day"
- champ: @traderbren $BABA - Thats what I'm thinking but you have to babysit this stock. Good article on Bloomberg yesterday on the CEO Jack Ma's and Singles Day.
- Lavrock: $YHOO $BABA - $YHOO after the $VZ deal - trades with $BABA which has been strong since earnings on Aug 11th.
- champ: @Dancyn $TWLO - They way I trade is I always take profits on 1/2 and then I let the other 1/2 work with a trailing stop and if it turns I'm out of both with profits and if not I make a little more until it turns. For example... I sold 1/2 yesterday in $BABA and I got stopped out the other 1/2 this morning.
- champ: $WAB $77.25 - $IBM @ $156.75 $BABA @ $108.50 all RHRN - New positions this morning on the open and I will be swinging all 3 positions on the close.
- gouell: $BABA
- rokey: @dan, can you have a look at $BABA pls?
- DAN: @rokey $BABA Sure. Solid uptrend, decent growth fundamentals. But it is a bit extended now, so if you're long the stock, try keeping a stop about 5% below where it is now. I wouldn't be buying it now. But if you are holding it, there's no reason to sell it, and one great reason to hold it (the uptrend is the reason).
- orpheusredux: $BABA may soon give those who missed it a good entry point. Continuing to pull back.
- Spotdog: @orpheusredux $BABA Watching closely
- Alexandra: @Spotdog $BABA I thought $BABA had accounting issues and cannot be trusted bec they are China based. Is that true ?
- orpheusredux: @Alexandra $BABA Isn't that like Claude Rains saying he's shocked that there's gambling going on in Casablanca? ;)
- Spotdog: @Alexandra $BABA You are probably right. Thanks for reminding me. Then again $WFC is not Chinese
- Raos: @Alexandra $BABA That was news about a year ago. Not sure what has changed since then. Moreover, couldnt that be said about any (and ALL) chinese companies .. that operate out of mainland China. (Maybe India too). There maybe no way for a US company to audit their numbers ..
- Bridget: Notes: Breakouts on Volume: $OPHT, $CSX, $SGYP, $GIMO, $GHL, $JBL, $STM, $SUPN, $CEMP. $AMTD, $NH, $FNFV, Working: $GKOS, $CWEI, $FNSR, $LOGM, $BABA, $ATVI, $IRWD, $BHE - nice move off the 50MA $MSCC - almost breakout $ILMN - almost breakout $INTC - back up near the high $SWKS - making a nice move with AAPL $PBR - looking toppy, have alert set at the 50MA for a breakdown $PNRA - looking toppy, needs to recover the 200MA $CHU - huge volume today, weekly chart is turning up $JWN - showing a nice move after the flag pattern $CNX - this is broken, get out $GPRO - nice move off support with volume $SBUX - at the bottom of the range, could be a good low risk buy point $ABX - showing support at $17
- TunaHelper: Jim Chanos is going to be on CNBC for their conference, presumably imminently. Looking for him to trash $TSLA and $SCTY - which is well-deserved IMO. Have been reading a few articles about the $TSLA, $SCTY, and SpaceX incestuous financing. It's completely bonkers. In any case, expecting to experience a bit of schadenfreude for Musk. Then again, Musk may quickly turn around and announce a 2023 release of a new product to get all the fanboys jazzed - maybe a new perfume, L'eau de Tesla by Musk? That would be perfect. *Also wondering if Chanos is going to trash $BABA, which I think he is skeptical of because of their labyrinthine corporate structure and accounting.
- DAN: @TunaHelper $TSLA $SCTY $BABA Elon Musk is a bit sleazy. If TSLA stock was worth trading, I would trade it. But if I was a money manager who was making decisions for other people and recommending where they invest, then investing TSLA and/or SCTY would be both financial malpractice and a breach of fiduciary duty. Chanos actually said that he was being "too kind" in his prior scathing comments about TSLA/SCTY.
- TunaHelper: @DAN $TSLA $SCTY $BABA 10000000% agree. I dislike Musk intensely because he has really duped one of my good friends who is one of those overzealous Musk fans. My friend has lost a meaningful amount of money investing $TSLA, but somehow still has f ...
- Thebigshort: $baba Does anybody see a potential top And relative strength way over bought
- orpheusredux: @Thebigshort $baba Who really knows? Personally, I view this not as overbought so much as a re-rating of the stock. Sentiment distinctly turned bullish. I could see a p/b to 98 (top of the ER blowout rise), but wouldn't expect much more unless the overall market has a big p/b.
- orpheusredux: @PhilHarmonic #New I am, thanks to $BABA $AMZN and $NFLX.
- infocus: @orpheusredux $BABA $AMZN $NFLX #New Good work! Risk Management!
- champ: $BABA .....OUT on the open....took profits....but watching now..
- Aragorn: @champ $BABA BABA I took 50% off been holding for over 10 points I can give up some $ APA caught a short wish I stayed short made almost a point quick casj
- orpheusredux: Buy the $BABA dip?
- champ: @orpheusredux $BABA - Take a look at the chart and you will see that this trade has been working now for around 7 days or so. I just sold this morning because we could have more than a few hours down but no-one really knows at this point. However, if this small drop continues.... make no mistake about it.... more will take profits....is my guess.
- orpheusredux: @champ $BABA Thank you, sir. I closed one call spread yesterday with a small gain and spread my Nov call by selling the higher strike. I'm happy with where things are but am looking to get back in. Singles Day in November is a huge day for them and another upside catalyst. Not to mention sentiment shift. Still, your note of caution is smart.
- champ: @orpheusredux $BABA - You are right, a lot of us in the forum play Singles Day every year ...on this stock and on a few others also but that is November and this is September. Remember I'm on your side and I'm also watching this stock closely now and I moved it up on my watch-list right next to $AMBA and $BMY.
- orpheusredux: @champ $BABA $AMBA $BMY Appreciate the info.
- janner0814: $SE $CPHD $BABA #DollarBreakoutsBreakdowns
- janner0814: Here's what dollar breakout charts looks like @janner0814 $SE $CPHD $BABA #DollarBreakoutsBreakdowns
- janner0814: Updated list of #DollarBreakoutsBreakdowns Dollar Breakouts: $GT $SE $ENB $TTM $CPHD $LLY $SINA $EOG $NFLX $BABA $MCD $BIDU $TSLA Dollar Breakdowns: $CTRP $HES $CMI @janner0814 $SE $CPHD $BABA #DollarBreakoutsBreakdowns
- champ: $JD $BABA $BIDU - Stocks in China having a nice move again this morning ...I had a few post last week on these.
- champ: $BABA swinging full position
- Aragorn: $BABA I mentioned this earlier this week a break of he trend line it has been a good one in my IRA
- champ: @Aragorn $BABA - I'm also long ...could keep going...??
- Aragorn: @champ $BABA 100 is a natural sell point once thru it yes
- Rasta: Chinese stocks are working $EDU $XRS $MOMO $BABA
- champ: @Rasta $EDU $XRS $MOMO $BABA - Good eye...yes.. it seems like all of them are working...I'm long $JD but it fell back a little and $BABA and watching many other like $BIDU but I haven't had time to do the research yet.
- Rasta: @champ $EDU $XRS $MOMO $BABA $JD $BIDU $BABA Phase 3 breakout
- Aragorn: @champ $EDU $XRS $MOMO $BABA $JD $BIDU In BABA and not in MOMO unfortunately though I have day traded it. AS soon as I buy it as a keeper you are doomed I tell you. BABA paying the bills been in for 4 bucks or so
- champ: @Aragorn $EDU $XRS $MOMO $BABA $JD $BIDU - Good Work! ...You see anything else....? I had a new Knee put in on the 12th and it has been really slowing me down....havning a hard time doing my home work.
- Aragorn: $BABA has cleared this little flag/descending trend line and is now ready to move up higher. Inside day and up above the line see attached.
- DAN: @Asma123 Don't ignore the long side. This is a tough market for shorting right now b/c of the helium injected by the fed, and the consequent misallocation of risk. Everybody has to be in stocks...but everybody also recognizes the risk. So the mark ...
- orpheusredux: Tech has turned up in the last 15-30 minutes. $AMZN $AAPL $BABA $FB et alii. $AMZN since end of June has found support at the 20 day and bounced. It just did so today. Is it about to head higher?
- tejas7: $BABA stopped out of my stop on the upside. Too strong.
- MayoEng.: $BABA had a real nice week up 16 bucks from when DAN 1st suggested this 2-3 weeks ago.
- MayoEng.: $BABA nice stock up $4.02 good thing I sold yesterday....
- MayoEng.: @MayoEng. $BABA $LITE out of both only to watch them go up.
- cmaxwel1: @MayoEng. $BABA $LITE (I got back in on $LITE yesterday at 33 !!) AHH. I am going to be adding if it goes lower to get a larger long term position in this stock. I saw it trade at 30.50 and was thumping the table, I sold my original shares before earnings at 32. A more rational me will buy more today.
- orpheusredux: @MayoEng. $BABA I only play earnings reports with a very good reason, meaning high probability of the stock going my direction. Gotten burned too many times to risk it on a regular basis. But with $BABA the chart had been so strong of late. It really broke out of a range on 7-20 and then yesterday's powerful move seemed to signal a good report. It was hard to imagine the stock retreating after yesterday's breakout. Of course, anything can happen, but the probability was on the side of the stock going up and so IMO it was safe to leave a small position on.
- tejas7: $BABA outside BB on 3rd Std deviation. STO Aug 94 calls for 0.53. Expecting it to consolidate near 92 area(phase 2) for 6 trading days before it moves into phase 3, if market decides to back it.
- champ: @trader123 $YHOO - As you know it's following $BABA...they own 15%. I have been adding but I'm at the top of my level now...my guess is it should keep climbing....this is a long term for me...I have been a strong bull on this stock...with core and trading positions.
- trader123: @champ $YHOO $BABA Congratulations! Do you have a year end target on $YHOO?
- champ: @trader123 $YHOO $BABA - I'm sorry but I don't...like everyone else...it's just to hard to figure out ...to many moving parts involved...and if I did it would probably be wrong.
- trader123: @champ $YHOO $BABA Agree! Thanks!
- issues: @orpheusredux $BABA What's your price prognosis for $NVDA with earnings tonight?
- orpheusredux: $BABA getting some reflected glory from $JD? Looks like it.
- MayoEng.: $BABA breaking out ER tomorrow
- orpheusredux: $BABA finally broke out. But be careful, earnings tomorrow before the open and he is famous for being a thief.
1winkie: $BABA - Earnings set to report before the bell on Thursday -
A few analysts weighed in Alibaba ahead of the earnings report:
Morgan Stanley reiterated an Overweight rating.
Cantor Fitzgerald reiterated a Buy rating with a $95 price target.
- orpheusredux: @1winkie $BABA Useful info, thank you. I took off my call spread and a call with nice gain and am looking for a long trade over earnings. Hard to believe all these analysts are wrong.
- champ: @orpheusredux $JD - This level is right where I added this morning...it's up to $BABA...if they have a nice beat JD should move even higher...looks like this stock is on hold for now....a wait and see.
- orpheusredux: @champ $JD $BABA Yes, but I'm in $JD for the long haul. Have JAN calls.
- champ: @orpheusredux $JD $BABA - On $JD.. I have been holding for awhile and it's just now starting to turn. The IPO price was around $20 ...so I'm also long term. On $BABA I'm going to swing 20% of my position into earnings.
- champ: $BABA.....up a $1.15 in the AH's...so I'm out this last part....took profits.
|Stock Price||$USD 106.09|
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd is an online & mobile commerce company. Through its subsidiaries, it provides retail and wholesale marketplaces available through both personal computer and mobile interfaces.Request Video of BABA
Already a member? Sign in here.
- May 4th, 2017 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 37.08 34.09%
- $USD 116.10 14.13%
- $USD 46.20 11.70%
- $USD 14.44 -45.85%
- $USD 8.47 -31.10%
- $USD 18.77 -27.05%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 45,800 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (45,800) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!