Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE:DVN)
Old Forum Content for DVNMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- traderbren: $DVN - continues to leg higher. Long Jul $38 Calls from last week.
DrScience and Dragonfly mentioned this ticker back in Jan. This week's Barron's, in an article on "How to Play Iran Sanctions" calculates that $ESV is the most highly correlated to crude among energy-related tickers at 0.85, although $RIG ...
- champ: $DVN ---- News and I'm holding on the low turn
- champ: $DVN still hanging in HOD
- Mounty: @jwstich $EOG #Spec I don't like it right now and oil prices are on a downward trajectory. $EOG is best in the bunch, but $COG, $CRZO and $DVN all show weakness
- jwstich: @Mounty $EOG $COG $CRZO $DVN #Spec Good point. Thanks for your input.
- champ: @Mounty $EOG $COG $CRZO $DVN #Spec --- For other reasons, I follow all and I'm watching all three today and all have reported earnings. I trade all three of these but only when I like the set-p and I'm looking hard at $DVN. I like these type of low risk entries but I'm only watching, for now....need to see how the sector plays-out, in the next few days or so. But... I have other targets on my buy list. I'm a trader in this sector and I follow the NewsFlow and most all the names and I'm always looking for opportunities in this sector. I like weakness, but I would like to see, even lower stock prices.
- jwstich: @champ $EOG Thanks champ. Will watch $EOG, $CRZO, $COG, and $DVN for a good entry point. I appreciate you.
- champ: @jwstich $EOG $CRZZO $DVN ----- Watch $SLCA $FRAC and $DK....I'm long all of these but I took 3/4th off of $SLCA, on the high turn today because I had a very large position and I was in, right around the low...at $25.20. I held 1/4 size positions on the other 2 thru earnings and added today...but wait for entry because we need to see how the markets play out...and the #EIA oil inventory numbers, will be released in the morning... but do the research and read the earnings transcripts, on all three before you take any action...its always good idea.
- champ: $DVN $ 30.70 ....could bounce off the low...
- baronp0329: @champ $DVN - Most of the oil stocks bounced at 8am PST. Trading $CRC and $ECA.
This year it's FTSI, scheduled to IPO on Friday 2/2. FTS International is a major privately held fracking company. It operates across several basins but primarily in the Permian. Customers include $CHK $COP $DVN $EOG $FANG. EOP companies acquir ...
1. $DVN – coming out of a squeeze.
2. $CRZO – Alert $24.10
3. $SM – support at $25 . Alert $27.15
4. $OKE – 5.28% yield. Resistance at $60. Alert at $60.
5. $FB – looking for $190 this week. Maybe tomorrow. Not muc ...
- shoredriver: @rachel $NFLX $DJT $ARCB $YRCW $NAV $SPX $DJI $IWM $MDY $NDX $DJUSBK $XLK $XLE $OIH $XOP $DVN $CRZO $SM $OKE $FB $AMZN $OLED $BLUE $CELG $JUNO $COHR $CTRL $SEE $HD $TREX $HTHT $POOL $LULU $PYPL $MU $VAC $CMG $AXP Seriously, nobody provides detailed notes at the SMM shop like you....thanks....again....
- champ: $LBRT @ $23.. New IPO --- Day-5....Hydraulic Fracturing Driller, with crews in the Permian Basin and other Oil/Gas field basins. A few of their customers are ...$CLR $APC $NFX $DVN $NBL $SM and others. New IPO on 1/12, they are in the right sector, at the right time...this stock should go much higher, I'm guessing. Take a look at their WebSite, for info and a few Photo's. I have a position....
- cmaxwel1: $RDSA sold yesterday. Held through huge downturn waited for 15% profit level to dump. Moving money from $RDSA $DVN to $XLE which has less volitility and has equal exposure. Still holding $EOG.
- geotheo: @cmaxwel1 $RDSA $DVN $XLE $EOG --- $XLE 2.95% dividend vs. $RDS/A 5.46% dividend. I don't know your time frame but over the last year plus $RDS/A has been a steady mover to the upper right. To me $XLE has been more choppy in its up trend. Thanks your comment made me go and look. Always helpful when to entertain other ideas and refresh your story for holding or selling. I'm sticking with $RDS/A for a bit longer.
- cmaxwel1: @geotheo $RDSA $DVN $XLE $EOG $RDS ( I added $CVX recently as well so, I am holding a full position in $XLE $EOG and $CVX which I like better than $RDSA. I'm also Holding $AMLP which I have been buying under 10, with a monthly dividend. Pipelines have always had a core position in my portfolio.
- geotheo: @cmaxwel1 $RDSA $DVN $XLE $EOG $RDS $CVX $AMLP I've been buying some bottom dwellers lately. $ESV, $SND, $HK, $SWN, $EMES, $APA. Also, nibbled at $TOT for the 5+% dividend. All are up nicely. Hard to keep myself from thinking I'm a genius.
- champ: @geotheo $RDSA $DVN $XLE $EOG $RDS $CVX $AMLP $ESV $SND $HK $SWN $EMES $APA $TOT --- Funny... but thats where a lot of $$$$ hide-out... in many targeted names. Don't tell everyone....but I also read.. buy low...sell high
- cmaxwel1: $DVN sold, other stuff just working better. $EDU yes thank you.
DAN: Good morning. The futures are showing a modestly higher open as we grind through a week known for light volume and low volatility.
In last night's Strategy Session, we focused on retail and energy stocks because many are on the move. In the imme ...
- issues: All my starter positions in oil are up today: $CVRR $XEC $DVN $CRZO $COP $XLE. I am trying to decide if today is a good day to add. They look extended.
- DAN: $XLE -- Some energy stocks are breaking out...specifically the XLE. Here are some names that are under buying pressure. $MRO $CVX $EOG $APC $DVN. There are others, of course, but these are the ones that look more interesting to me -- and that I believe have potential for more upside.
- rck89: @DAN $XLE $MRO $CVX $EOG $APC $DVN Thanks. I was just going to compliment Bridget on her $EOG "breakout" comments yesterday. She was (and is ) so right! Still, since there's been no real movement in crude prices, the stocks must be up because of the new tax plan. I've owned $CVX for awhile because of its dividend and $ERX just because!
- michaelH: @DAN $XLE $MRO $CVX $EOG $APC $DVN //$CRZO chart also looks good.
- Lynda: @DAN $XLE $MRO $CVX $EOG $APC $DVN The exploration and production ones operating in the Permian Basin.
- DAN: @rck89 $XLE $MRO $CVX $EOG $APC $DVN $ERX (Insert "thumbs up" emoticon here). 8-)
- issues: @rck89 $XLE $MRO $CVX $EOG $APC $DVN $ERX Hard to figure out.If USA is going to get more oil out of our land, that dilutes the supply, therefore oil becomes cheaper, right?
- phgruver: @issues $MRO $PE $APC $DVN $MTDR $CVX $XLE I added to $MRO. It is an existing LT position of mine. I added some back in Sept. when it set a higher high at 13, and added a bit more yesterday, as it seemed poised to break out above the Nov. high. It only pays a 1.23% dividend, so I won't hang on too long.
- issues: On the 10 day chart, here's the leaders: $MRO 14%, $PE 10%, $APC 10% $DVN 8% $MTDR 4%, $CVX 4%. I bought $XLE. Who of you bought any of the others and why did you choose the one you bought? Checking PE's: $EOG 5,000 wow! $CVX pe 34.(Neg pe on MRO & APC.) $DVN pe 12. DVN has the lowest price/earnings but I see CVX has a long way to go to reach all time high. CVX was talked about on Fast Money last night!
- mopick: @issues $MRO $PE $APC $DVN $MTDR $CVX $XLE $EOG, have been in $COP for a while now. One of the best performers in this space this year!
- issues: @bRobert $GUSH looks like the very definition of "at resistance" but could BO! NP Oils owned today $XLE $CVX $DVN $COP $CVRR $HFC
- bRobert: @issues $GUSH $XLE $CVX $DVN $COP $CVRR $HFC I'm long from below. will add on pullbacks/higher lows.
- rachel: STRATEGY SESSION NOTES- 122117 COTD: Compare stocks of real businesses and stocks in the crypto space. Aside from three fundamental data points, they’re exactly the same. But those three fundamental data points are your edge because they tell you whether the company is attractive to big money. $DOV $KMT $LFIN $GBTC $RIOT $NETE $SPX – holding up in same range. All indexes are still extended, though not showing signs of reversing. Smart Money / Dumb Money Confidence: .35 v .76. 41 differential. This is an extreme. $DJI $DJT $COMPQX $XLE – Important breakout today. Likely going higher from here. $XOP – ALERT $37 $OIH – Alert $26.39 $MRO $CVX $EOG – Alert $108 $APC – Alert $52.88 $DVN – Alert $41.30 $XME – Alert $35.75 $FCX – Weekly shows $20 easy. $TECK – Alert $26.25 $CEIX – coal. Steep price increase, though volume is falling off. $BTU – very strong momentum in this established name.
- Iceman: $DVN #ShortPuts – Bought to close DVN Jan 19 2018 29.0 Put @ 0.01. Originally sold at 1.32 and again at 1.43 as #FallingKnife trades
- Iceman: $DVN #ShortPuts – Bought to close DVN Jan 19 2018 27.5 Puts @ 0.01. Out a month early at minimum value. Originally sold at 1.04 and again at 1.33 as a #FallingKnife trade. Still short the Jan 29.0 Puts
- Iceman: $DVN #ShortPuts - Bought to close 1 DVN Jan 19 2018 26.0 Put @ 0.01. It still had 5 weeks until expiration. Originally sold at 1.12 as a #FallingKnife trade. I still have Jan 27.5 and Jan 29.0 Puts left to cover.
- vfr777: $DVN moving up from the 50day and I think the selling volume since 11/10 has diminished. It's had higher highs and higher lows. Also, looks like it's being accumulated. Getting in with a stop around 36.50.
12. $DVN – new uptrend. Support at $36.
13. $MTDR – look at weekly. One month to cover. 26% of float is short.
14. $LB – working.
15. $BBY – working.
16. $SHLD – good example of upside surprise met by dumpi ...
- traderbren: $DVN - looks constructive here with an underlying bid. Long.
- DAN: @traderbren $DVN Yeah. Coming out of a squeeze. Starting to pick up some momentum.
- SMMReif82: $DVN Squeeze, breakout, little pullback today
- Iceman: $FOSL $SIG $DVN – taking a few short puts off at nice gains. Will reload on the next leg lower in the market. Bought to close FOSL SEP 29 2017 7.5 Puts @ 0.30 Bought to close 1 SIG OCT 20 2017 40.0 Put @ 0.20 Bought to close 1 DVN OCT 20 2017 28.0 Put @ 0.51
- Iceman: $DVN #ShortPuts #FallingKnife - Sold 1 DVN JAN 19 2018 26.0 Put @ 1.12 with the stock at 30.20. The 1-year low is 28.79
- Iceman: $DVN #ShortPuts #FallingKnife - Sold DVN Jan 19 2018 27.5 Put @ 1.33 with the stock at 32.62
- champ: $DVN HOD
- champ: $USO $SLCA $SND $PXD $DVN $BHI ---- Watching and trading a few energy names now...and all the sand suppliers are turning off of todays lows.
- champ: @CHOFF $USO $CHK ---- $UNG $UGAZ ....Its about N-Gas supplies and they have been climbing. Not like Oil supplies because they been dropping because the Saudi's are cutting back exports to the U.S., weekly. Thats why these N-Gas ETF's have been dropping before the start of the summer demand season. I like $CHK but its just to early to add or to take out new positions in these names but I'm watching $DVN and $UGAZ for buys. The energy sector will bounce in the coming days but we just don't know when thats going to happen but I'm guessing it could be next week....and I'm watching N-Gas for a bounce also but No real clue when thats going to happen but watching.
- CHOFF: @champ $USO $CHK $UNG $UGAZ $DVN Thanks - $DVN looks extremely riskly to me right now. $UGAZ looks interesting. I'll be watching for the first green bars in $CHK in the coming week. Prices aren't going up but they keep bringing wells back online...something is up.
- Iceman: $HP $DVN $DO $SWN - New #FallingKnife candidates #OIL must be crashing the way that Oil and Gas producers and drillers are acting. Can the SP500 still rally if the energy stocks are falling? Can AMZN FB AAPL NFLX GOOG keep it going all by themselves
- Iceman: $DVN #ShortPuts #FallingKnife - Sold 1 DVN JAN 19 2018 29.0 Put @ 1.40 with the stock at 35.73
- Bridget: $DVN here is a nice #short set-up. Coming back up to the 200DMA and getting rejected as we're seeing a death cross. Volume is trailing off but so it is in the overall market.
- Bridget: $DVN seeing a death cross on the daily as the stock is being rejected at the 200DMA. I'm looking at this as a potential short.
- Robert1965: $DVN $EMES @champ are you still in these,
- champ: @Robert1965 $DVN $EMES ...I'm out of $DVN...nice move today but still $EMES and the others.
- Robert1965: @champ $APC $DVN $FANG $PXD $ERX $NUGT Yes watching $FANG in the mid upper 90's Tuesday, got some but sold to early yesterday, when you got in what movement (price) triggered your entry
- champ: $DVN.... stop OUT near entry....
- champ: $DVN @ $41 ...also...bouncing off the low of $38.70 ...the hi was in Dec @ $50.70 a $12 drop.....I'm new swing long this morning....could be time..??....not a bad entry.
- Robert1965: $APC @champ have you looked at this lately, it seems to be preforming better than $DVN, any thoughts $APC
- champ: @Robert1965 $APC $DVN ---- I have been watching it....it's on my list and I do like the stock and it outperformed most of the energy names today. New swing positions yesterday for me were $FANG and $PXD and I added today but now out 70%..to be honest ...
- stevef214: @champ $CHK $UGAZ $DVN Director Archie Dunham just file form 4 and he bought 500K shares. This is significant IMO. Still looking to add and I added some yesterday.
- champ: @stevef214 $CHK ----3 Directors each bought 50,000 shares...from $5.22 - $5.42.....all under water for now but that is really positive for the stock moving forward. $UGAZ has been working but all the N-Gas stocks are not really working at this time....but they will at some point.....$DVN is one ...thats down but their are many.
- champ: $FANG $PXD $DVN ....OUT.... all 3 this morning took profits.....will be watching....just moving on for now....their are many other laggers that will be reporting soon.
- issues: @champ $FANG $DVN reported .19 est vs .25actual excellent beat! $FANG also beat .54 to .90 - very impressive. The question is will it be "beat the gopher" again ok let's be serious about this as a LTH - an investment in the future? Still holding FANG and many other oily stocks. I will put in a stop around $110 or lower.
- champ: $DVN @ $45.50 also climbing going into #Earnings in the AH's today ...going to hold my position in this one also...but I might take 1/2 off if it starts to turn. I have alerts and trailing stops on all my positions...I just let all work unless I see some news or fast movement.
- champ: $DVN- .....Beat....Stock moving up....Nice..beat by $0.07...revs in-line...looks like they are guiding higher...but can't really tell at this point...have to wait for the call.
- Forexpro: Re: $DVN Hi, Friends, $DVN reports after the close tomorrow, and I'm unwilling to accept the risk. Out of long stock and short Mar 45 calls and 42 puts, for a net 103.00/spread. Not a fortune, but it's a gain, and since I didn't want to face the heat, I needed to exit the kitchen. Hope your day is off to a great start; all the best!
- champ: $DVN @ $44.25 --- Back in with a new swing position yesterday....after this recent 2 month low....N-Gas was up in the last quarter for there upcoming earning report on 2/14/after....it was HOD YTD in December 2016 ..along with WTI-Oil but N-Gas star ...
- Forexpro: Re: $DVN Hi, Friends, I'm well long via stock and short puts, and the turn in oil futures appears to have changed the reddish tone to green on the day. All the best!
- Forexpro: @tradeforfamily $WFT Hi, Tradeforfamily, Not seeing anything specific on $WFT, but other names I look at in the sector are also down, perhaps simply in response to the fairly sharp drop in oil. Futures are trading close to the day's low, and are down around 2 percent, at the moment. Hang in there (I'm net long $DVN, which was looking better, earlier); all the best!
- tradeforfamily: @Forexpro $WFT $DVN Thanks. On a side note: I am buying the Pound within the last hour vs. CAD and JPY. Do you trade Forex?
- Forexpro: @tradeforfamily $WFT $DVN Hi, Tradeforfamily, I retired at a reasonably senior level some years ago after a lengthy career on the FX desks of "too big to fail" banks. Knowing more than a bit about the games that get played, and feeling the lack of knowledge regarding client orders that provided a fair degree of comfort in the past, I've never succumbed to the temptation to trade currencies for my own account. Levered 20:1 (or more), I'm afraid that the outcome is mathematically inevitable; it's just a question of how long it will take, and how much money will be transferred during the process. With that said, I sincerely hope that you're the exception. Best of luck!
- tradeforfamily: @Forexpro $WFT $DVN Thanks for the warning. Just learning with very little money. I would love to hear more about the games that get played. If you are open, I could give you my email and you could share some insights. thanks and you are a great help on this forum.
Forexpro: @tradeforfamily $WFT $DVN
Just send me a message via the legacy SMM Forum (accessible from the home page, if you aren't familiar with it). Here's a hypothetical, though; FX trading between large banks is, by definition, a zer ...
- Forexpro: Re: #E-MiniFutures Hi, Friends, Just glancing at the Market Profile of the E-mini futures; apart from the first half hour ("A"), which was a time of price discovery, today's distribution, granted with almost an hour to go (futures trade until 4:15 EST), is pretty close to a normal distribution. It suggests that both sellers and buyers are identifying value within a fairly well defined range, although that range is lower than was the case for several days previously. I've only done a couple of trades today, taking small profits on a net short in IWM, and adding a small position in $DVN. Here's hoping that your day is going well; all the best!
- Forexpro: @captron $MSFT Thanks, Captron, Not sure why one AG as opposed to another would be "bad" for Mister Softee, and in any case Sessions was nominated a while back. Be that as it may, the trade was based on the presumptive ability of the stock to hold what I had pegged as support, and it failed to do so. Bad trade, or an unsuccessful one (same thing, right?) and I'm out. Added some $MRCC (yield hog) on the dip, took profits on my little net short in $IWM. Basically, losses in $MSFT and $DVN offset gains in $GDX and $IWM. Nice to be hedged, I suppose. :) Enough of my tale of woe; here's hoping that your day is going well. Thanks again, and all the best.
- Forexpro: Re: $DVN Hi, Friends, I'm net long this ticker, which is getting dinged this morning by a downgrade (to "Market Perform") by the masterminds at $WFC. All the best!
- Forexpro: Re: $DVN, $HPE Hi, Friends, Two trades this morning. Into $DVN via a covered combo; in this case, long stock, short Feb 48 calls and 45 puts for a net of 43.73 vs a stock spot price of 47.34. The low today has been 47.13. There are 39 days until expiry, and the guess on earnings is Feb 21, after the Feb monthly expiry. I was long $HPE and short Jan 24 calls. I want to like the stock, but it just refuses to work, and I'm out for a small net loss. It just hasn't been worth the bother. Here's hoping that your day is going well; all the best!
- Forexpro: Re: #Oil Hi, Friends, My earlier purchase of $DVN notwithstanding, oil futures do not appear to have put in a bottom, as yet. The Profile continues to look softish. Hope your day is going well; all the best!
- Forexpro: Re: Oil Hi, Friends, The regular session for crude is now done for the day, and thank goodness (unless you're short, in which case, bummer). The contract didn't close at the session low, but it was close enough for most purposes. I could have waited to buy $DVN, it seems. Here's hoping that your day is going well; all the best!
- champ: @issues $BHI $USO $OIH $FANG $XLE $XOP $VLO $CVI --- I like laggers like $NOV $KMI & $XOM and these because of news $EOG $FANG $APC $DVN.....all 4 were upgraded a couple of days ago at $BAC/Merrill and I own all 4 plus the laggers and $BHI...I don't own any of the other but most of the sector everything in the sector is a strong buy. The one that I couldn't think of this morning was $DVN.
- Forexpro: Re: $DVN Hi, Friends, This ticker is normally pretty highly correlated with the $XLE (bottom panel on the linked chart), but it has broken free. For the moment, at least, and it is outperforming the sector group and the broader market. Not that I have any, but I do have an alert set underneath now, and I'll look to buy a dip. http://schrts.co/jrZN3C Hope your day is going well; all the best!
- champ: $EEP $ETE $KMI ---- Could be that pipelines are the way to play this News about demand on N-Gas and maybe N-Gas stocks...I have positions in all 3 of these stocks and $DVN.
- champ: @maratom71 $UGAZ - I'm just watching N-Gas and $CHK and $DVN for direction....but the short answer is when I get a handle on direction but for now it doesn't looks good....I never swing these type of 3x times.....never.....NP.
13. $DVN -- $45 support now.
14. $ESV – breakout above 200-day MA. Would suggest $9.00 as support.
1. $DD – breaking out from squeeze. Really good prospects b/c entire sector is breaking out. Alert $74.00
2. $DOW &ndash ...
- champ: $DVN ---Spec long @ $43.26... Stop at entry
- champ: $APA and $DVN.... both are at the BOA/Merrill Lynch Global Energy Conference this morning....both are releasing good news.....still holding these positions.
Well, "$WNR" sounds like "Winner", and congrats to all who own it. Could help others in the group to maintain a bid. $REI, $FHC, $DVN (which I'm long), etc. The latter is, in fact, up to 44.50 (1.18 percent) as I attempt to type. ...
- champ: $DVN and $HTZ .....OUT both ..... but watching.
- Aragorn: @champ $DVN $HTZ Nice
- champ: $USO - Crude Oil ends... at a 5 week low today and is down now for the fifth consecutive day. I'm still holding this new position $XOM and these others $DVN $COP $OSA and they are all up today...for now. I'm up on all these positions but no one knowns about direction on these stocks but luck is working for me on these oil stocks.....because of my entries.
- champ: $DVN up in the AH's on a earnings beat and I'M holding a position that I forgot about today .....was to busy with $JNUG and $VXX....maybe I will get lucky on the open.
- champ: $DVN working and I'm still holding my swing position
- champ: $XOM $DVN $KMI $COP $OAS $CRR $NAT ....the bottoms could be in on these stocks in this energy sector or very close.
- champ: $DVN @$39.50 ...nice move here up about $2...still holding position....oil moving up a little.
- cb: @champ $DVN $OIL $DNR is interesting here, seems to have priced in a low for earnings tomorrow.... holding also LONG, could you look at this and give me your opinion... Check out the Attached image highlighting earnings reactions...Thanks
- champ: @cb $DVN $OIL $DNR --- I posted earlier that I thought the bottom was in this stock and a few others ...Like $XOM but I'm not really in love with any stock at this time but I'm holding for now....LOL.
- champ: @Wolf $CVX $COP $XOM - I'm still holding $OAS $DVN and $COP plus other that I have been posting on but I'm not really happy with them at this time.
- Wolf: @champ $CVX $COP $XOM $OAS $DVN Holding $CVX (calls) $BP $CVI $ETP $GUSH $USO $XLE $UNG. I guess $FCX has some oil component as well.
|Stock Price||$USD 40.60|
Devon Energy Corporation is an independent energy company engaged mainly in the exploration, development and production of oil, natural gas and NGLs.Request Video of DVN
Already a member? Sign in here.
- October 30th, 2018 - 2018 Q3 Earnings
- $USD 38.33 18.83%
- $USD 6.20 11.08%
- $USD 56.57 3.91%
- $USD 12.74 -131.07%
- $USD 5.84 -34.91%
- $USD 28.96 -30.99%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 57,300 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (57,300) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!