Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (NASDAQ:AMD)
Old Forum Content for AMDMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- Babutters: $AMD buying $XLNX. Both reacting accordingly to the news.
- debeers: @Babutters $AMD $XLNX -Significant penalties attached to $XLNX for any cold feet. Good for Su for not overpaying IMO.
- Henry: @Babutters @Debeers $AMD $XLNX While it's old news, AMD it was supposed to be more that a $30B deal. Well it is more.... it's $35B I don't know if that's overpaying or not. A week ago the $C analyst said the deal wasn't going to happen.
- romanalexk: $AMD weekly chart. Moving closer to breakout above the slope premarket on the news of acquiring $XLNX.
- debeers: $AMD-@Henry- On the sale rack by mistake because of a new sales clerk. She's been corrected and Lisa Su designer leather gloves are back on the designer shelf. Every weakness that $AMD had (which admittedly weren't many) $XLNX fills. it occurs to me that prior to the purchase, $AMD was a glove reaching into many areas. With Su's guidance, it is now a fist and it will punch through resistance IMO. i bought more at 76 this am.
- Ajax4Hire: @debeers $AMD $XLNX Agree, especially when compared to $INTC-Intel. Much excitement around the new AMD Ryzen and Threadripper processor. AMD also makes Graphic Cards under Radeon name. $XLNX-Xilinx is not a rival as the two IC makers provide very different solutions. Looks like the $XLNX acquisition by $AMD is closer to finalization. $XLNX open pegging at $130, 13% higher.
- debeers: $AMD- Looking at Y/O/Y growth of over 40%. Significant market expansion in the data center, high performance computing and will be transformative. Automotive and industrial will be additive as well. Communications and 5 G are Xilinx strengths as well. Lioness strikes again.
- debeers: @Ajax4Hire $AMD $XLNX $INTC -You don't purchase a rival, you purchase someone who fills the gaps you have. Scale matters! Similar philosophy matters.
- grcjr: @debeers $AMD - Perhaps odd. $AMD flat approaching the open. I am long $AMD.
- debeers: @Henry $AMD $XLNX $C - What i do is i listen to the C analyst and then do the opposite. FYI
- tcw23: @debeers $AMD ...AND all gamers per AMD processors over Intel!
- emi: $AMD Really ugly selling. I'm a vulture waiting for the carcass.
- debeers: $AMD- Listened to the conference call and had 8 congrats in it. i have to say that i have never heard so many whiny puerile men in my whole life: 1. "Lisa do you promise your returns will be just as good?" 2. "is the CAGR you are estimating really achievable?" Crappy listeners the lot of them: Xilinx and AMD have cooperated on many projects. This isn't a marriage that wasn't well thought out, guys. They've lived together first and there is a huge amount of mutual respect. Like many successful marriages, "happy wife, happy life." Xilinx wants Lisa happy.LONG
- cp: @debeers $AMD Arbitrage selling
- debeers: $AMD-pared its losses ah to 3%. The obliteration of $INTC will more than make that up. The CEO of Xilnx will be staying on and Lisa has worked with him enough so they are both comfy.
DAN: Good morning. Futures are pointing to a very weak open as traders react to a jump in coronavirus cases and we head into one of the busiest earnings weeks of the third quarter.
The news flow is pretty dire when it comes to COVID. I'll leave it at ...
- Robert1965: @DAN $MSFT $SHOP $FB $AMD $CRM $ADBE $ECOM $FTCH $PNTG $RH $VSTO $DDOG $TUP Nice recap
- Henry: $AMD frisky on a Susquehana pt of $95
- jcabrero: @DAN $MSFT $SHOP $FB $AMD $CRM $ADBE $ECOM $FTCH $PNTG $RH $VSTO $DDOG $TUP true logic behind CoVId numbers. I would like to point out however that the more important number is the number of hospitalizations. Those have been surging. For healthcare providers THAT number is a disturbing one as our arses hurt from working so much. Remember too that hospitalizations lag behind increases in caseloads because of incubation times.
- scottrades: Busy week for #Earnings ahead. Here some to watch for: $AAPL $AMZN $MSFT $AMD $UPS $FB $SHOP $BA $HAS $PFE $SMPL $MMM $TWLO $GE $FSLY $PINS $NOK $TWTR $MRNA $CHGG $ETSY $SAP $CAT $LGND $FVRR $SPOT $GOOGL $LLY $GILD $RTX $TDOC $OSTK $V $ATVI $MA $XOM $ABBV $HCA $SHW $F $NVS $NRZ $MRK
- scottrades: $AMD continuing to base along the 50 Day.
- sweeper240: $AMD do you like the pennant pattern here? Support @ 82.70 or 82.30 if you like to tag the tails
$AMD Want to see the 50 Hold here.
$DADA Still working.
$DT Gave you an out at BE today if you wanted it. If not, let’s see what tomorrow brings.
$BEKE Broke to a new high, you had to catch it early.
$FSLY Nice morning trade, here’s how ...
- sweeper240: $AMD - Flag?? Agree?
- traderbren: $AMD - providing a low risk oppty here.
- bwcarnation1: $AMD 2 day pb now above 8ema good vol
- Kharrison67: $AMD futures down on merger talks.
- Ajax4Hire: @Kharrison67 $AMD $XLNX-Xilinx is one of the two big FPGA(Field Programmable Gate Array) makers $INTC bought Altera(the other FPGA maker) 5years ago in mid 2015. This leaves $LSCC-Lattice as the remaining PLC(Programmable Logic Control) IC(Integrated Circuit) maker. FPGA is just a big PLC. FPGA lets me make a hugely complicated electronic design in a single IC. Like pouring a whole circuit board of ICs into a single piece of silicon. Designing that silicon takes weeks,months,years to get right. I don't think $INTC was better with Altera, nor Altera better with $INTC; Not sure $AMD will be better with $XLNX or $XLNX better with $AMD. Consolidation of the $SMH industry. Means that $AMD has no more good ideas on how to grow their business so they buy other similar businesses, a "strategic" purchase.
- debeers: @mopick $AMD $XLNX -$XLNX has repeatedly said it sees nothing but blue skies for itself. You wanna translation for this? "We know what you are--we just don't know your price!"
- rj7150: @debeers $AMD $XLNX Just like the gold dust woman, you've shattered my illusions of love??
- Ajax4Hire: @BellaVino $GME Sometimes the Shorts are right. I do not see how $GME can create a sustainable growth model doing what they have done in the past selling: New/used physical-media games; New/used game consoles and equipment. $MSFT-Microsoft can act as a patron, keeping $GME as a lost-leader. Essentially, GameStop stores become Microsoft stores(think $AAPL-Apple store). This requires $GME subsumed by $MSFT; like $AMD buying $XLNX.
- BellaVino: @Ajax4Hire $GME $MSFT $AAPL $AMD $XLNX Thanks Ajax. I can see the point of the shorts with regards to the business model. I would think more short covering today but when you see it pullback, I guess they are safe. Just trying to understand the many market dynamics in play.
- HillB: $AMD Hope this sets up for a nice reversal next week. Looks like it’s closing right near all the major averages
- debeers: @rj7150 $AMD $XLNX -'fraid so!!LOL
- indigo1948: @scottrades $IIPR $CGC $TLRY $APHA $CURLF $TCNNF $TRSSF $GTBIF #PotStocks - good morning Scott. Are you still holding a position in $AMD? - looks like it is trying to break above $88.00 at the open.
- scottrades: @indigo1948 $AMD I'm not in it at the moment, I was shaken out. The stock is working just fine slowly grinding up. Use the low of the Oct 6 (83.45) as a level to define risk.
- indigo1948: @scottrades $AMD Thank you.
- gwenzee: $AMD $AAPL This should goose both AMD and AAPL. IMO 12:40PM AAPL Apple Will Release Its 5G iPhones Next Week. Morgan Stanley Says Its a Bigger Deal Than Wall Street Thinks. Barrons.com 12:30PM AMD AMD Launches AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Desktop Processors: The Fastest Gaming CPUs in the World
- mopick: $AMD in talks to buy $XLNX
- scottrades: Some Semis are looking good. $TSM $AMD
- gwenzee: $AAPL $AMD $ARCT $AYX $CARR $CHGG $CYRX $DT $FAST $INCY $LVGO $MSFT $NBIX $NUAN $PFSI $RVNC $SHOP $SILK $TNDM $TDOC These are the stocks I am holding right now. Took partial profits on several yesterday. And.....today everyone of them is up. But....I rang the register. Amazing what one day can and does do to one's portfolio.
- HillB: @mopick $NVDA It’s also much easier to hold when your basis is low. Obviously the goal with all longEr term holds On the flip side, I got shaken out of $AMD when it was treading water earlier in Summer and missed the big run in July. Since then, I have had a hard time getting in and staying in with a meaningful position. Scott and Dan talk a lot about over trading and I have found that has been my biggest flaw. Finding good stocks isn’t hard when you have great services like this and content from IBD, but managing your position, emotions, and mindset is definitely the biggest challenge.
- Kharrison67: @scottrades, are you still liking $AMD ?
- scottrades: @Kharrison67 $AMD Daily chart is fine. I didn't chase the gap this morning.
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY Low Volume but moving in the right direction $SSO/SPXL Trade these if you please. $QQQ Green, low volume on the index. $GDX Still choppy. $TAN Wow, still going strong. $NVDA Bought back today, added one time. $TSM Trying to breakout $QCOM Right at resistance. $AMD Nice move, I didn’t catch it till later in the session. $DKNG I didn’t get the low but I got the re-test. $ETSY Mentioned Friday in my video $EXPI Huge move today! $SQ Mentioned Friday in my video $GOGO Alert at 10.55 $IIPR Working $WST Coming out of a squeeze $TSCO Basing under the 50 Day. $ROL Coming out of a squeeze $SE Basing. $WHR This is what you want from an intraday Breakout.
- grcjr: $AMD $NVDA - some already bouncing.
I'll be honest and tell you I sold some shares in some stocks that were working just fine, but made sure to keep some working in some of my longer term (swing long) trades like $NVDA, $TAN and $AMD. It's impossible to predict a news event so I don' ...
- scottrades: Good volume on $AMD
- scottrades: $AMD creeping closer to HOD.
- lostsheep: @gwenzee #Markets Positioning $AAPL is probably a little ahead of the rest in terms of the chart moment. But the $SPY $MSFT $AMZN $TMUS $AMD..... all look the same. Take your pick macd cross turning up on all. Down trending channels broken and price pushing above the 20 with the 50 in tow offering some rising support. The fed will stay on the gas and stimulus bill will get pushed through which both parties will want credit for and allow some more disposable free income to funnel into the system especially around the holidays for new I any things and $HAS toys. TINA rules and money never sleeps. IMHO
- scottrades: $SPY Closed under the 50 Day. $QQQ We’re not out of the woods yet. $NAIL Alert at 54.40 $TAN Holding in trend. $AMD Inside Day. $NOVA A lesson in re-setting alerts. $JD Out at break even $NIO Nice gain, great trading on this team! $NVDA Been working great! $VEEV Needs to tighten up but could break out of the slope. $CRWD Same. $DKNG Short base momo trade. $PKI this is working. Let it work. $CLSK Watch 13.90 $PLAN Riding the 8EMA. $MRVL This is your pullback bounce. $RXT I sold this, but maybe I was wrong. Watch 19.40
- scottrades: $AMD trying to move a bit.
- scottrades: @scottrades $AMD I bought some.
- indigo1948: @scottrades $AMD - heavy volme Scott - may finally break out of the recent consolidation.
- scottrades: @indigo1948 $AMD Not loving the action right now. :/
- scottrades: @scottrades $AMD Nice to see this come back strong.
- Rick_O: @scottrades $AMD Hi Scott. Would you buy back AMD now? Seems to have regained the positive momentum. I added position this morning at $80.40, and was biting my nails as it fell toward my stop, which was not triggered. Thank you.
- scottrades: @Rick_O $AMD I'm still holding it. My stop was below the 79.65 pivot. So I was risking 1.00 on the trade.
- scottrades: $AMD testing HOD. This has been a ride today.
- Tinker97: @scottrades $AMD yep but when looking at the hourly its smooth looking lol
- VenkatS: @scottrades $AMD What price did you got in?
- Angdionk: @scottrades $AMD decent volume today
- scottrades: @Tinker97 $AMD Hourly it has been riding the 8EMA but that clear rejection above 81 was worrisome. I think it's being at the Daily 50 Day MA helped a lot.
- scottrades: @VenkatS $AMD 80.62
- Tinker97: @scottrades $AMD sorry did not mean to critic you just thought to be funny was all again sorry did not mean it in any bad way have a great day
- scottrades: @Tinker97 $AMD No no, all good and I totally agree with you. I'm not that easily offended! All good my friend. Just explaining my thoughts.
- Rick_O: @scottrades $AMD Thank you - I'm re-entering as stopped out in 9/2 P/B. AMD has been very good hold!
- cp: #scottrades, what is your opinion of $AMD support at the 50MA
- scottrades: @cp $AMD #scottrades I bought it this morning (posted below) and I think it's acting great. Want to see an hourly higher low but lots of volume today. Watch to see how it closes if you didn't buy it yet.
- cp: @scottrades $AMD #scottrades thanks
- indigo1948: $AMD - took a position in it at $78.21 - a bit of a "cheat entry" as it has been leveling off in something of a small base since it dropped steeply from $94.00 to the mid $70.00 range. I feel it is a good risk/reward play as this is one where you clearly define your risk and volume is creeping up.
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY Resistance at the 50 Day but approaching every day with an open mind. $QQQ Closed at the highs, but I’m still trading small. $GDX Choppy $TAN Nice move out of it’s base. $SPWR Mentioned on Friday. Hard to buy gap ups. $AAPL Closed Green $NVDA Ditto $WKHS Thank you to the Forum for the all out on this. $MRVL mentioned in my video on Friday. Coming out of a triangle. PKI Low volume but working. $WHR trying to pop out of a squeeze. qqq $AAWW Watch for a move over the tops. $SE Strong stock but too high for me RHRN. $AMD Still basing around the 50 Day. $RXT Alert at 18.90. $APPS Cup and High Handle $CRM Watch 249.20 $DG Still riding the top trendline. $OMI High Daily Flag $TXG Watch for a close above 126.80
- alscruggs: $AMD just past 9/22 close
- scottrades: My #Swing Notes: $SPY Support at 320 $QQQ Still under the 50 Day. $GLD Support at 173. $UUP Want to see this settle. $AAPL Back above the 50 Day. $TSLA Choppy pattern. $SQ Watch 159 $AMD Basing around the 50 Day. $MRVL Alert at the slope. $SE Closed under resistance. $LVGO Chart of The Day earlier this week. Good volume today and trying to push higher along with $TDOC. $MSFT Mister Softee back above the 8 EMA $NVDA Working well. $TAN Solar Stocks look good. $NOVA Setting up $SPWR Would like to see it tighten a bit. $JD Watching the 50 Day Catch up. $BLD Tightening around the 21 EMA $PKI See the triangle? $TGT Curling up.
- grcjr: $AMD looking strong. Earnings Oct 27 after the close. $AMD is having a technical presentation today at 10AM MT. If interested see Application Workloads to AMD EPYC™ Processors https://www.amd.com/en/partner/meet-experts-webinars Not expecting a lot of "new to me" info. But they might reply to my alreading submitted questions.
Watching for continuation in $AMD today as well. A few of us in the forum bought this yesterday near EOD. The volume yesterday was slightly higher than average and that’s a positive. Keep and eye on $ROKU as well, wanna talk about Massive Volu ...
- Rpatrick: @scottrades $TSLA $AMD $ROKU $AAPL #Gold hey Scott, what's your thought on $AMD now? Would you still hold it?
- dancemaui: $AMD @scottrades You still hanging on to your AMD?
- scottrades: $AMD not an ideal 30 min bar right here. I sold half my small position.
- cp: @scottrades $AMD sold mine in the pre market for a small gain
- scottrades: @scottrades $AMD Swingers want this to hold 75.80
- scottrades: Closed out $AMD. No follow through to the upside.
- scottrades: @RiccardoB $AMD I closed out the remainder for a small loss. Was looking for continuation and it didn't go. Still needs time.
- sweeper240: @Bwhitty $MSFT $AMD $AAPL $NIO Agreed
- scottrades: $AMD breaking Friday's high.
- scottrades: @sweeper240 $AMD $MSFT $AAPL $WKHS That's usually a sign to do less.
- sweeper240: @Dan @scottrades $AMD I can't tell what the heck to do.. seems like a whipsaw market - no reliable trend or high probability line of support. I love that $AMD is approved to supply to Huwei, Its great that $MSFT is now owner of ZeniMax Media (publisher of Bethesda games), $AAPL was looking strong, but buying seems like chaos right now. $WKHS I removed my short Calls for zero loss/gain because It just not seeing a negative bid. Taking the short off on $WKHS was stupid :/
- DAN: @sweeper240 $AMD $MSFT $AAPL $WKHS I'm not sure what you are asking...or whether you are even asking a question.
- sweeper240: I've been hesitant to enter anything today. I am I being too cautious. $MSFT, $AMD both have some strength. $AAPL is looking the same. I did take a small position in $NIO October 19 Calls
- randall888: $AAPL, $AMD - holding up on a down day ... anyone buying? bull trap? Close out or Buy? ... @Dan
- Bwhitty: @sweeper240 $MSFT $AMD $AAPL $NIO They are cheap above 20 and if $NIO moves its not going to be 2 points 😮
- Angdionk: @randall888 $AAPL $AMD as far as I'm concerned as of yet I'm not seeing any confirmation to buy $AAPL as of yet
- scottrades: $AMD trying to base around the 50 Day.
- scottrades: Buying some $AMD into the close. Small with a stop at LOD.
- jschibal: @scottrades $AMD I'm joining you on that trade with a 1/2 position
- cp: @scottrades $AMD thanks for the heads up. I picked up 100 AMD. Nasdaq looks to be coming back.
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY Strong close, this is ideal but we’re not out of the woods just yet. $QQQ Ditto. $GDX Yikes. $SE Base building. Watch 151.45 $TGT Support at the 21 EMA $NIO Getting tight $AMD Nice volume through the 50 Day. $HZNP In trend but wide range. Mind your size. $TSM Bought some of this. $JD Watch 75.80 $TSLA Watch for a move over 463 $VEEV Holding at the 50 Day. $MRVL Steep slope, but buyers are stepping in. $NOVA Solar Stock, Flagging a bit. $DADA No trigger RHRN, I have an alert at 29.50
- Explorer: $AMD -- bounce off the 50DMA
- michaelH: $AMD breaking support and the 50; NP
- ckonelli: $NVDA $AMD looking at it closely
|Stock Price||$USD 94.71|
Advanced Micro Devices is a semiconductor company with manufacturing, research and development, and sales and administrative facilities throughout the world. It provides processing solutions for the computing and graphics markets.Request Video of AMD
Already a member? Sign in here.
- January 26th, 2021 - 2020 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 24.37 159.80%
- $USD 26.19 99.12%
- $USD 6.39 96.27%
- $USD 34.30 -6.84%
- $USD 67.90 -5.88%
- $USD 41.62 -4.88%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 30 day trial membership for just $7.77. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 77,300 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (77,300) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 30 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!