Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (NASDAQ:AMD)
Old Forum Content for AMDMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- Robert1965: $AMD is up ATH 31.98, +1.80 5.95%
- Kristine: @Robert1965 $AMD - I have a small position. With only a 30B market cap I think they have more room to grow. Debt is a bit high but about the same amount of cash. Also consistently beating on earnings. I don't plan to add until some consolidation in the chart.
- bsafriet: $AMD Another day, another upgrade, another ATH. Added this morning. Rosenblatt Securities analyst Hans Mosesmann raised his PT to $40 to take the lead in who is the most bullish street analyst. Feels like I’m trading bitcoin or a pot stock. Keeping a tight trailing stop, updated daily. I’d be interested in hearing from others here on the Forum how they are trading $AMD. Me - you gotta feed the ducks when they are quacking.
- Robert1965: $AMD 30.14 in PM ATH
- champ: $AMD....really nice....more positive news
- champ: @Bob E #OT ---- $PRLB $DRN low volume stocks bother some but not others...high volume stocks can really zig-zag..$AMD $RENN.....It depends on the stock and the reason (News) you are holding a position...and it really depends on what you think. $TRHC...started out as a really low volume stock, when I first started posting in the forum.
- bRobert: $QCOM VERY strong nh $84 target My top chip along with $AMD $NVDA
- paul8798: $amd any thoughts ?
- spmeyers: @paul8798 $amd not a buy til it breaks out -- but this stock is waaay extended; I'd look elsewhere
- issues: @spmeyers $amd AMD reminds me of $NVDA years ago when I bought 100 shares of NVDA at $19 and waited for it to drop to add but it never did. Now look at it. I think AMD has some amazing new chips that are faster and smaller and better. It's the stock for the future! LTH! I also bought 100 shares of AMD at $19.
- Greendayguy: @issues $amd I bought some today and sold before close for a profit. Decent day trade for me, I can always get back in at any time. Same with $TRHC today, left some money on the table on both, but made profits. Profits are always better than loses, especially the way the $DJI got hit today.
- bsafriet: @paul8798 $amd Taking market share from $INTC and giving $NVDA a challenge in gaming. Closed at new ATH. I’m long and looking to add shares. If this moves holds tomorrow, I think you can start to build a position. This is a very strong stock, not the old $AMD anymore. A buy on any pullback. Hope this helps.
- CHOFF: @phgruver $SMH I'll be looking to enter $SOXL tomorrow possibly. I sold the majority of my $NVDA position last week around $278 for a big win. The market is soft with light vol. $AMD is blasting off but it's too late for entry with high risk. I'd like to buy $NVDA, but I'm not convinced it's done pulling back on its long term zig zag uptrend.
- phgruver: @CHOFF $SMH $SOXL $NVDA $AMD $INTC is a dog, along with $TXN and $MU but other chip makers are looking good. $QCOM, $AVGO, $TSM $NVDA have all had pretty good runs of late. Being an election year does throw some things off, but 4th qtr. is traditionally the strongest qtr for technology.
- paul8798: @bsafriet $amd $INTC $NVDA $AMD Thanks, my thought exactly !
- bRobert: $AMD @QCOM . Not giving back much.
- bRobert: $SMH bounce. sort of expected. Let's see if it can be built on and lead to a range breakout over the next week. Costs nothing to watch. $QCOM $AMD . VERY strong. Stubborn breakouts. This is a tell. Easy holds . $QCOM target $85 + .
- Wykeman: $AMD up again..
- Wykeman: $AMD extended..still going..big vol. Again
- rck89: $AMD So why is this stock so is this stock so strong today? Did miss an upgrade by one of the "talking head" firms?
- shoredriver: @debeers $MTN $AMD never made it either on the GSL...to the best of my knowledge....and it is like up only 170% ytd....lol........oh yeah...too well known.....
- jmichaelet: @rck89 $AMD Not sure on upgrades, but I did see an article stating that they are on track to release their next generation of GPU this year, which is a technological generational leap ahead of Nvidia's best (without getting into the details). If you're not familiar check out GPU architecture and the implications of AMD's upcoming (7nm) vs. Nvidia's new line (12nm), but the short version is AMD's chip can pack more power into just over half the space, and be more energy efficient. I'm not saying this is driving the stock, but it is a potential driver for AMD to continue their revival these past couple years.
- Robert1965: $AMD lots options were traded 27.-28 range the only I saw
- grcjr: @Robert1965 $AMD - I went with the Oct $26 Call up very nicely at this time.
- paul8798: $rig$amd$nflx@Dan Hi , I'm a new member. I have held Rig for a while, any chance of it moving higher? also opinions on nflx and AMD. Thanks Paul Marino
- bRobert: @paul8798 $rig $amd $nflx $RIG Yes there is more than a chance for $RIG to move higher. LONG TERM this will likely trade at much higher prices as oil supplies wane in the face of constantly increasing world wide demand. Short term, it was chopped down a bit by falling oil prices. $NFLX has a reversal pattern in motion targeting the old high. (charts aren't guarantees. They highlight possibilities and help manage risk/reward ) If the current flag triggers, chances are pretty good that the measured move targets will be achieved. Stop below flag. $AMD Extended . Flag. Will probably go higher, but it is hard to buy at these extended levels. Easy to hold with stop below flag. Wait for more substantial pullback or find another train. The short term risk/reward is less favorable than other possible trades IMHO
- grcjr: $AMD possible flag pattern ... needs to consolidate after a nice move up.
- MBWS2018: $AMD: DAN... I got in at $10.04 with a small amount of shares, Looking at the chart I feel it might be consolidating here, but with this pullback I am thinking I should take a little off the table. Any thoughts? I have a Stop at 23.15.
- DAN: @MBWS2018 $AMD Nice job, MBWS2018. I'd take a little off. Frankly, I'd put my stop at around $23.95 on at least half. Depending on your trading approach, you might keep a stop on the remaining shares just a bit lower, or just decide to hang on unl ...
- MBWS2018: @DAN $AMD Thanks Dan, Thanks being there for us to ask these types of questions. It's always nice to know that when I have these types of thoughts about a trade, that I can reach out to you or this great forum for either confirmation of that thought or to get another approach to it. It means a lot! Thanks for the reassurance and confidence you instill in us.
- phgruver: $AMD is generating some serious volume in the premarket. They announced their new Radeon video accelerator over the weekend, stealing some of the wind from $NVDA's sails. Not being a "gamer", nor into CAD/CAM, etc, I don't fully appreciate the capabilities, but the industry actually seems excited. I've always liked $AMD products (this computer is running on and AMD CPU) but I've never made money on the company. Of course, Hector Ruiz is no longer in charge....
- phgruver: So far, $AMD has traded over 2.22M shares in the premarket. By far the volume leader. $TSLA is second, with only 1/2M shares traded. I'm not sure if it actually means anything, but I'll be watching $AMD closely after the open.
- bsafriet: $AMD Holding a tiger by the tail. One hell of a short squeeze going on compounded by the Mo traders piling on. Long, overweight and have been adding. Keeping a trailing stop in addition to watching and using alerts. Gapped up at the open, above R2, trading above R3 now. Up another 9.51% today!
- spmeyers: @bsafriet $AMD pretty crazy move for such a widely followed stock
- bsafriet: @spmeyers $AMD Big short position being liquidated. Working on an estimate for how much longer before shorts have covered. I will post estimate.
- bwcarnation1: $AMD anyone selling up here? I bought late and mistakenly bought 3x what I wanted then sold 2/3 of it which was a huge mistake cuz I'm up 20+% few days
- bwcarnation1: $NFLX sold in 2 parts out now, also $AMD sold
bsafriet: $AMD Short Squeeze Over
The 8/15 data had 146.33M short or 15.82% of float. Today’s volume at 1:23 PM EDT is 175M shares which more than covers the outstanding short position. This is hedge volume, institutional. Barron’s has the float ...
- bsafriet: $AMD Forgot to submit last post till now. I’ve sold 25% of position at 13:58 EDT
- Robert1965: @bsafriet $AMD as you posted started to drop, off the high, did you start easing up
- Mpower27: @bsafriet $AMD I have been marveling at its parabolic move. Np
- tigerjohn8: @Robert1965 $AMD I did. Sold a third of my position. I was up and average of 25% since buying and adding the last week. Took a third off and now thinking about a couple stops for the rest. I HATE GIVING BACK Hit a stop then just closed it all. Seemed like a lot of sudden profit taking. Who am I to question
- bsafriet: $AMD. Now completely out, all shares both accounts. Had some execution glitches on my end (?) which slowed the exit process and probably cost a little profit. Last shares sold at 14:23 EDT. Wishing that I had sold all at once, but choose to scale out and got caught on a couple of head fakes. Knew the ballon would deflate rapidly once the selling started. $AMD now trading below R3 and VWAP. Will watch for now, let price settle in and maybe re-enter if we get back above R3 and VWAP.
- bsafriet: $AMD. Is everyone out? Anyone hold any in case it bounced? Should we have held on to some shares? My execution problem was on Merrill Edge and was my fault. It’s my wife’s 401K rollover to an IRA account. I wasn’t aware that I couldn’t change a stop order to a sell order on their trading platform. All I could do was change stop price and # shares. I ended up canceling the order and submitting a new order to finally close the position. The consolidation of our accounts and brokerages is on my 2 month challenge list of things I can do to improve my trading performance. That was enough fun for one day - back to mundane account maitenance!
- Henry: @drotars Another thought, $AMD, look at the 20-2 BB and the 20-3. AMD is at the 3rd SD for 3 days now. There was a stock, which I cannot remember (so I didn't own it) hung out at the 3rd SD for 6 or 7 days before falling back. That is unusual. A pullback by the 4th day is more the norm.
- Henry: $AMD Took some profits. I have a hard time doing what Dan says, "don't sell all" I'm holding 1/4 of what I had, will see what happens. Up 16% in 3 weeks is pretty good. I just can't see to do that on every trade.. ;-)
- Wolf: @Henry $AMD Nice gain! I day traded a few times, but got shaken out with small gains.
- grcjr: $AMD - set to open a another new high.
- Henry: @grcjr $AMD bought it on the flag after earnings.
- bsafriet: $AMD $NVDA $INTC $INTC fizzles, $AMD up 5.55%, $NVDA up 2.06%. Selling my $INTC and buying/adding $AMD. $NVDA knocking at the ATH. Hold, add or sell? Nice dilemma to have.
- shoredriver: @bsafriet $AMD $NVDA $INTC It sure is........
- bsafriet: @shoredriver $AMD $NVDA $INTC Hope your in it!
- shoredriver: @bsafriet $AMD $NVDA $INTC ...Been in $NVDA forever almost...added along the way .......very pleased.....
- bsafriet: @shoredriver $AMD $NVDA $INTC :>)
From MarketWatch post 12:28 EDT
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) shares rallied to a nearly 12-year high Thursday after the Wall Street analyst with the highest price target on the stock hiked his target even higher following a meeting with exe ...
- bsafriet: $INTC Out, was in long term account. Adding $AMD, 1/2 position, trying for VWAP entry.
- Henry: $AMD new hi
- tigerjohn8: @bwcarnation1 $AMD $ADM I just bought it also, therefore.......you better have a stop loss order
- bwcarnation1: $AMD/$ADM meant to buy $ADM earlier and just realized I bought $AMD....since it's up over 2% today I guess I'll keep it for now!
- Robert1965: @champ $INTC $AMD explains why this ATH
- bRobert: $AMD small c&h Target $22
- traderbren: $AMD - looks constructive here. Took some Aug 31st $17 Calls on the dip this morning.
- grcjr: $ATVI $EA $TTWO $AMD $NVDA $INTC - given the gains in the gamers I'm surprised that $AMD and $NVDA are not showing a tag along. The home game platform of the future may be a stripped down system compared to today that is mostly a high definition 3-D display/visor and a fast internet connection. The game processing will be in the cloud. $AMD could have the home system while an $INTC/$NVDA combo has the cloud. For a good fiction (but not completely) read, find a copy of "Ready Player One". IMHO the book is better than the movie.
- DrScience: $SMH in a volatility squeeze and getting pretty deep into a triangle pattern. Semiconductors seem to be in a holding pattern, and waiting for the 200 DMA to get danger-close before making a move. But Hey! Only 144 days to Christmas. $MU Stock having trouble with the 8 EMA for a ninth day. $NVDA squeezing at the 50 DMA. $AMD flag after best earnings season in many years. $INTC into the earnings gap and above the 200 DMA. $SWKS marking time to ex-div next week. $AVGO downtrend and money flowing out; a couple more bucks down to support. All in all, looking more and more like a soggy bag of chips for the time being.
- bigbartabs: @DrScience $SMH $MU $NVDA $AMD $INTC $SWKS $AVGO ... semi-conductors have lately been lethargic at best. I went to a full position in $SOXL with the pullback this morning. We'll see what happens from here. Small cap at large is really weak today... not sure why.
- Wolf: $AMD Down 5% because some big investor sold 427M shares.
- Henry: $AMD Cramer having an amdgasm on CNBC
- Mpower27: @AlexH $AMD $INTC $AMD reported earnings. People liked their revenue growth and margin expansion.
- grcjr: $AMD $INTC - $AMD is up big this morning. $INTC is down about 8% at this time.
- grcjr: $AMD up big in premarket on Q2 results. Small position for me. Darn! ;-)
- bsafriet: $AMD This is one that I let get away and will be kicking myself for some time! I was stopped out of my position yesterday and did not re-enter. Makes the case for partial position stops, etc. Also teaches me to set alerts on both my desk-top tradi ...
- AlexH: $AMD is up big time on $INTC earnings, they must have said something about AMD, or that $INTC is losing to AMD
- kt4000: $FB between 165/167 now $174 ..... if it dips below 170 again I will load up more - I was fortunate to take all of the gains from $AMD in AH so it's time to put this back to work. If I look at $NFLX where I bought in AH at 342/347 that was at a 15% discount on the day..... I think this is a great opportunity under $170
- kt4000: Bought $DBX, $DAR - Holding all of my $PYPL and $AMD thru earnings tomorrow, added $IQ, $MRK trades
- kt4000: $AMD getting hammered
- DavidM: @kt4000 $AMD Same with $MU I cannot find any news on $MU, have not checked the rest yet.
12. $AMD – this is not at a good place. $17 is the top. $15 is support. Very risky stock to buy. You have no edge.
13. $SBUX – nothing to like here. Rebounded from oversold situation. No identifiable upside, but a LOT of pain in th ...
- debeers: @bRobert $HIIQ $MCHP $CY $ON $AMD $SMH $MU $WTW $WWE $LULU $TRHC -$LULU caught another upgrade.
18. $AMD – No. At resistance. I would be selling here.
19. $EXPE – needs to tighten up. Up 5 days in a row.
20. $REGN – too extended to buy now. If long...use trailing stop.
21. $HOLX – no.
22. $W – up 20% since ...
- champ: @Greendayguy $HIIQ $MCHP $CY $ON $AMD $SMH $MU --- I'm going to pop in and say....investors only buy a stock, if the stock has positive news, earnings, upgrades and the economy...and that is call #stock-timing, when you buy on positive news. The mark ...
- bRobert: @Greendayguy $HIIQ $MCHP $CY $ON $AMD $SMH $MU I try and find stocks with charts that have LARGE measured moves when triggered. eg . $WTW weekly chart JAN 18 squeezing. at $50 Measured move was to $90 (CUP/HANDLE). This was a very tight ...
- Greendayguy: @bRobert $HIIQ $MCHP $CY $ON $AMD $SMH $MU $WTW $WWE $LULU $TRHC Thank you very much, great advice. Much appreciated. I started small positions in $MCHP and $ON on Friday for short term trades. We'll see how they go, and of course I have stops in ...
- Greendayguy: @bRobert $HIIQ Agree. I've taken some hits but hopefully I'm learning and getting better. I never try to manage more than 8 stocks at a time, and I think I'm going to reduce that number, maybe concentrate on 3 - 5. What are your thoughts on startin ...
- grcjr: $AMD looking interesting. Long.
- kt4000: $ADBE $DOCU $PYPL - Buying .... Waiting for $AMD and $MU to come in a bit more. Also adding $GS seems to be moving up in anticipation of the CCAR reports
- grcjr: $AMD sorry I did not see this earlier. Large move to new highs this morning.
- bRobert: $NVDA $AMD . nh's . These guys play games
- bsafriet: $AMD. Up approx 84% from the early April low. One heck of a move. Held through the entire run until being stopped out on 6/8. Re-entered yesterday at the close. Up 2.33% today.
- CHOFF: @bsafriet $AMD - one heck of a return, congrats on the 84%. Hope you owned a truckload.
- bsafriet: @CHOFF $AMD Sigh - sadly not enough to double my account, but enough to give it a decent boost. It’s hard for me to increase position size to 25% of my account - I look at the $$$ and get uncomfortable. If I had a separate smaller account just for trading, wouldn’t be so bad. $AMD has been a long term hold for me. Also $INTC and $NVDA. Thanks for your post. Best wishes!
- issues: @bsafriet $AMD One of the folks on Fast Money said it would make a good short. (Timmy?)
- bsafriet: @issues $AMD May very well be — but I don’t want to be on that side of the trade. $AMD is doing very well with their new line of processors - taking $INTC to task on their own turf. Just keep it on a short leash when it’s this overbought. I wouldn’t recommend buying and hiding it under the mattress.
- Wolf: $AMD Falling knife on the intraday chart.
grcjr: @Wolf $AMD - not sure I understand yet. One report from before the open from Marketwatch
Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc.(AMD) are up 1.7% in premarket trading Thursday after Susquehanna analyst Christopher Rolland wrote that the company is gai ...
- Wolf: @grcjr $AMD Yeah, crazy. Nothing I see to account for it. ATM 6/15 puts and calls are over 1.25% premium.
- bsafriet: @issues $AMD Looks like a lot of traders listened to the same comments on CNBC. Looks like the selling in $AMD has abated and price has turned back up. Hated to give back todays gain, but I didn’t re-enter for a few percentage points. Thanks for the post.
- grcjr: @Wolf $AMD $EA $TTWO $ATVI - I recall hearing something out of the E3 conference in LA. I took a quick look at the reports but just too much for a quick hit. It was something about a specific game and a specific hardware vendor. Might have been a game or games not being available on a platform (perhaps using $AMD). Morgan Stanley upgraded $ATVI and $TTWO, not $EA. $EA has drifted down toward yesterday's close beginning about 1PM EDT.
- grcjr: @Wolf $AMD - I've taken some profits on $AMD along the way (rolling options), so I'm ok but ....
- grcjr: @Wolf $AMD - Might be issue with users and Sony which I believe uses $AMD. See https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/06/14/some-fortnite-players-mad-sony-playstation/701728002/
- grcjr: @bRobert $EA $NVDA does make chips for some of the gaming platforms, not all. The Sony PlayStation 4 Pro has the $AMD CPU and GPU. The Nintendo Switch uses $NVDA. The Xbox uses an $INTC CPU and $NVDA GPU. This can and does at times change from one generation to the next. Gamers building their own machines can use either $NVDA or $AMD. One source for details is https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/355217/the-best-graphics-cards
|Stock Price||$USD 19.98|
Advanced Micro Devices is a semiconductor company with manufacturing, research and development, and sales and administrative facilities throughout the world. It provides processing solutions for the computing and graphics markets.Request Video of AMD
Already a member? Sign in here.
- January 29th, 2019 - 2018 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 12.19 31.46%
- $USD 18.30 29.32%
- $USD 6.54 14.63%
- $USD 148.19 -24.69%
- $USD 6.63 -19.03%
- $USD 28.84 -11.18%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 59,700 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (59,700) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!