Applied Optoelectronics Inc. (NASDAQ:AAOI)
Old Forum Content for AAOIMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
17. $AAOI moved well past 3 STD Deviations on the Bollinger bands in the last couple of days, yet kept going.
18. $KTOS – “Good entry point?”
19. $R – steep uptrend along the 50-day MA. Best time to buy was on a successful ...
- Reif99: OK, so following up, on my two 3 STD DEV trades I violated my own rule this morning ... I usually don't enter new positions before 7 AM west coast time, but I was all excited about $TWNK and $AAOI. I didn't get AAOI at the high of the day so far - but I could see it from there. I'm long AAOI (bought some more lower) at 46,70 and long TWNK at 12.01. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days.
- bsafriet: @JBed $NVDA $NVDA is hitting on all cylinders and just had another PT upgrade today - this one for $220. I’m long and holding. @Dan sees it going back to SMA(50) after earnings — could (and I think more likely) hit $210 -$215. Chart is ...
- Reif99: If you saw Dan's Technical Analysis presentation this weekend, he talked about stocks being way overbought or oversold against 3 STD DEV Bollinger bands. Three such stocks on Friday you may have heard of: $MON (looks like their Cotton seed is not going to be closely regulated in India) . $AAOI, pre reported a big miss in earnings, although at least a couple of analysts have *lowered* price targets to *well above* where it traded Thursday, and $TWNK, (Hostess foods), CEO suddenly announced he's resigning, but staying on the board. I'll watch the open, but I think TWNK and AAOI for sure are good candidates for a short term buy. I'll confess, I'm not sure there is a way to play the Monsanto trade, due to low theta/vega in the options and a small expected move back in the stock.
- BocaRick: $AAOI #Needham keeps Strong Buy rating but drops PT to 75 from 115
- Vehid: Anybody watching $AAOI for bounce back?
- Henry: @Vehid $AAOI Absolutely not, a broken stock and a broken company
- Vehid: @Henry $AAOI looks like partnership with Amazon is a double-edged sword
- Henry: @Vehid $AAOI There's a cliche there, that I will avoid, but this stock is going to take several quarters to come back IF earnings improve. There will be a dead cat bounce in there somewhere, but you are not going to see new highs this year.
- bsafriet: @Vehid $AAOI Given that guidance given last night I think you’re looking at 3 to 6 months for this stock to recover. Wait for the conference call and updated guidance before deciding about starting a new position.
$AAOI - break down today from this squeeze but finding support. Lots of overhead resistance. Wait for the bounce to enter on the next roll over for a move down.
$CMG breaking out on long base. Don’t chase, buy on pullbacks. ER on 10/24.
- antfarm: Afternoon. Only 2 positions this week. $AAOI Oct 13 58 Put Assigned :-( $SVXY Oct 13th 60 Put Expired :-) Have a great weekend all. Fall is finally here in the Piedmont.
- bRobert: @Bridget $XME $XLB $XLK $SMH $XLV $CNC $CELG $UNH $VRX $EXAS $BMY $YY $SINA $BBRY $RIO $MT $HUN $AAOI $CMG $ESNT $HPQ $MON $MAR $NTNX $ETSY $ICHR $MTCH $TSG $CISN $HGV $ALRM $YUMC $DXC $VST $SBH $ATHM #Notes I'm not sure ATHM is dying. .Needed rest. for sure Short cover line in the sand obvious. Weekly/monthly charts are strong.. When your short is covered, I'll be entering.
- GOOSE: $AAOI HELD
- bnnybklyn: @GOOSE $AAOI SUGAR LAND, Texas, Oct. 12, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Applied Optoelectronics, Inc. (AAOI) , a leading provider of fiber-optic access network products for the internet datacenter, cable broadband, fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) and telecom mark ...
- Mpower27: @bnnybklyn $AAOI do they preannounce every quarter?
- bsafriet: $AAOI The new guidance reduces numbers by 20%+, expect price to drop same, which implies approx. $47/sh. ouch!!! Obviously all the bad news wasn't out there regarding AWS sales.
- bnnybklyn: @Mpower27 $AAOI I mainly trade this haven't held it around earnings. They were set to announce Nov. 6th - hmmmm, ya got me. That's early.
- bsafriet: @Mpower27 $AAOI They have been -- approx. 3 wks ahead of report. This news totally unexpected by me, but not by the market - extremely high short interest and stock down approx. 10% from close following last report.
- bsafriet: $AAOI Trading to resume at 16:35
- bsafriet: $AAOI now trading $44 - $47 after hours
- bnnybklyn: @bsafriet $AAOI was in this with full position but with a tight stop and got stopped out early today...thankfully
- Mpower27: @bsafriet $AAOI it seems that this is the sort of result the shorts were expecting last quarter when they preannounced to the upside.
- bRobert: $LITE $AAOI $ACIA $RHT All perky
- antfarm: $AAOI Rolled my Oct 6th 60 Puts out and down to Oct 13th 58 Puts for 0.75 credit when $AAOI was at 58.49
- tjv821: $aaoi why is this getting smacked today??
- bsafriet: $AAOI Bears having a field days. A couple of downgrades, otherwise no "new" news. Long w/covered calls as a hedge that I will take profits on once price stabilizes.
- Forexpro: @tjv821 $aaoi Hi, Tjv821, From Reuters: ** Fiber-optic network component maker's shares <AAOI.O> down about 4 pct at $62.10 premarket after brokerage Craig Hallum cuts PT ** Lowers PT to $80 from $95 on concerns over increased competition from Intel Corp <INTC.O> ** AAOI also affected by companies changing its data centers to accommodate higher bandwidths by moving to 100 gigabits/second transceivers(Gbps) from 40 Gbps ** Says checks indicate Amazon.com <AMZN.O> could be accelerating its move away from 40G Never heard of Craig Hallum? Me, neither, and I've been around for a long time. However, the algos that munch, digest and then trade off headlines apparently don't care. FWIW; all the best!
- tjv821: @Forexpro $aaoi ty for everyone’s reply at work
- tjv821: @bsafriet $AAOI I have oct 65 calls I sold for a small loss today
- bsafriet: @tjv821 $AAOI Sorry you took a loss -- what was the expiration date? I'm short the Oct-20 $70 calls as a hedge on my long position. Haven't been able to get the price I wanted to close them -- I guess I waited too long before submitting my order. $AAOI reports Nov 2 and I wouldn't be surprised if they preannounced - hence no plan to hold my short calls to expiration. Short interest is 13.25M as of 9/15/17 which is 72.69% of float, about 4.5 days to cover using the 10 day avg volume. If we get another upside surprise, the stock should be juiced by the shorts running to cover.
- bsafriet: @Forexpro $aaoi Interesting -- didn't know that INTC was in this market or that they made lasers -- will have to dig into that one! $AAOI has 100G transceivers ready for deployment and they are vertically integrated giving them a cost advantage while maintaining healthy margins. Part of last quarters guidance factored in the 40G to 100G transition by customers. Amazon's AWS defection is what hurt the stock -- we'll soon know if they are coming back to $AAOI for 100G or if they are still going on the cheap with their own design mgf by Macom and Fabrinet.
- antfarm: $AAOI Bought to close my Sept 29th 55Puts for 0.05. Originally sold for 1.70. @Spotdog has commented a couple of times that Schwab has been pressing to borrow his shares and keeps upping the offer. I don’t know how that works. Never been in that position but it gives me pause. Why are the premiums so juicy and what is coming down the pike. I'm estimate earnings to be beginning of Nov based on past reporting. I may sell an Oct 06th 60 or 55 Put keeping it on a short leash. Any opinions or insight out there?
- Spotdog: @antfarm $AAOI Not exactly sure what the undercurrent is, but it has been more of less consolidating for quite a while now. As far as I can tell, about 68% of the float is short. Massive, and they keep wanting more.
- antfarm: $AAOI Bought to close Sept 29th 60 Puts @ 0.50 as a risk off trade. I put the order in this morning on the off chance it might get filled. Originally sold for 2.45 so it definitely was time to go.
- Spotdog: @Forexpro $AAOI I got another email from Schwab wanting again to borrow my shares. Price went up to 22%.
- greenpatrol: @Spotdog $AAOI Hahaha. That's great. Ask for 33% and see what they say...
- Spotdog: @greenpatrol $AAOI They started at 8%
- greenpatrol: @Spotdog $AAOI Why haven't you made a deal with them?
- Mpower27: @Spotdog $AAOI what do they want to borrow them for, shorts?
- Forexpro: @Spotdog $AAOI Cool, Spotdog, Better than passbook savings. Maybe some grateful hedgie will name his next child after you. "Spotdog Smith", or whatever, will certainly be a memorable moniker :) Hope you're doing well; all the best!
- Spotdog: @Forexpro $AAOI $BK $STT $NTRS Thanks for the clarity Forexpro. I appreciate it
- traderbren: $AAOI - perhaps the start of the next leg higher. Bumped up against the 50dma on the 19th and pulled back.
- Spotdog: @traderbren $AAOI FYI re: $AAOI, Schwab has been bugging me with emails wanting to borrow my shares. They are now up to 19% for the use of them. I don't short so not sure what this means to be honest, but they started 3 weeks ago at 8%.
Forexpro: @Spotdog $AAOI
Hedge funds - the primary source of short interest - need to borrow shares in order to sell short. Normally, their prime brokers will simply go to the custodial banks - $BK, $STT, $NTRS - and pay a fee to borrow the sha ...
- tejas7: $AAOI last short data that I could find was from 8/15. At that time 57% of float was short. But since it trades heavily, it will take only 2 days to cover.
- GOOSE: $aaoi Moving
- GOOSE: $AAOI Moving I'm short the puts.
- GOOSE: $AAOI Moving
- GOOSE: $AAOI @Suz I'm having trouble posting. I saw your reply, and then it disappeared. Thank you for the buyout info. GOOSE
- Dan1946: $AAOI > OH Baby, running
- MM: $AAOI big mover....
- Dan1946: @MM $AAOI - good company!
- antfarm: $AAOI Sold to open Sept 29th 60 Puts @ 2.45 with $AAOI @ 63.93 Looking fir an entry
- GOOSE: #TRADES: $AA STO 9/29/17 43.0 PUTS @.30 $AAOI BTC 9/22/17 53.50 PUTS @.30 BTO @1.09 $EFX STO 9/22/17 89.0 PUTS @1.32 Delta .28 The devil made me do it. Minimum contracts at present,, may add as time goes by. Volume acceptable, tapering off. 5 day trade. Hey what can go wrong? ;>)
- Iceman: $AAOI #ShortPuts - Bought to close 1 AAOI Sep 22 2017 50.0 Put @ 0.05. It won't trade any lower. Originally sold as a #FallingKnife trade on 08/07/17 @ 1.40.
- issues: @Iceman $AAOI #ShortPuts #FallingKnife Are you buying AAOI? Big vol.
- issues: @bwcarnation1 $AEIS I am waiting for the proverbial pull back if it happens. Looking at $CLVS and $AAOI.
- issues: Since I sold $AAOI at a loss less than a month ago I don't want to get nicked with Wash Sale Rule. So in the same IBD group are these: $ACIA $LITE $OCLR ... I bought a starter in LITE. I like the chart.
- Suz: @issues $AAOI $ACIA $LITE $OCLR $OCLR has two potential bidders.
- issues: @Suz $AAOI You mean AAOI?
- Iceman: @issues $AAOI #ShortPuts #FallingKnife - nope. Just taking my gain and walking away
- di36464: $AAOI I almost sold this stock, till I saw Bridget's post to mind the 200 day ma. I held off and it's moving up.
- Dan1946: $AAOI: Continues to fall. I purchased fore a long term investment. Very difficult to hold .....
- Bridget: @Dan1946 $AAOI At this point, I would hold as long as this stays above the 200MA.
- issues: @Dan1946 $AAOI We took our hit and got out at a significant loss. My bad trade for the year!
DAN: $AAOI -- I'm seeing a few posts about this stock. A few thoughts:
1. I'd sell now. What's the difference between owning this stock at $55.85, and owning some other stock at the market price for that stock? Answer: Nothing. It's all the same. Y ...
- antfarm: $AAOI BTC Sept 01st 60 Puts @ 0.50 when $AAOI was at 60.12. Originally sold for 1.60 on Aug 24th.
- GOOSE: $AAOI Up 1.83 today. Bullish Engulfing. Holding Short Puts. Has been consolidating. Bottoming or bottomed.
- issues: @GOOSE $AAOI I think it's a fake out, not a break out. Why? Just a hunch.
- GOOSE: A TRADE: $AAOI STO 9/1/17 57.5 PUTS @..50
- GOOSE: $AAOI, $UVXY Will be looking to sell some puts on these two stocks tomorrow. Lowest price for $UVXY since May is 28.70, has been a reverse split though, if that means anything. There will be no charge against my margin because of my short calls. Support at 29.0. $AAOI low since May is 58.60, so I'll probably sell the 58.0's. Will wait to see if the stock price will come down for a better premium though.
- GOOSE: TRADE: $AAOI STO 8/1/17 59.0 PUTS @1.05 & 1.10 58.0 Is Support. Hasn't closed below 59.0 since June 29th. One week to go. ;>)
- GOOSE: $AAOI Lowest volume since March today. I take it as a good sign. Just went positive by a couple of cents. Put on some short puts earlier today.
- antfarm: $AAOI Sold to open Sept 01st 60 Puts @ 1.60 when $AAOI was at 62.09.
- grcjr: $AAOI looks to be moving into the close.
- woodman: @grcjr $AAOI all the #Optical stocks seem to have gotten on their horses in the last half hour of trade.
- bsafriet: @grcjr $AAOI All the optical component makers got a bid starting at 15:25 today. A tender for optical components by China Mobile was responsible for the move. Huawei is likely to take 50% of the order, the remainder split split between component makers(???). Attributed to Jun Zhang of Rosenblatt.
- tri2insite: #DAN $AAOI what do you think about AAOI here. .support?
- DAN: @tri2insite $AAOI #DAN No! I'd take it off my screen for a while. It's just about forming an Abe Lincoln pattern. (Abe Lincoln pattern -- a pattern that I just made up. Like a head and shoulder pattern...only with a stove pipe hat on the head).
- tri2insite: @DAN $AAOI #DAN LOL.could be followed by his beard also eh? Thx
- JBed: $AAOI unconfirmed buyout rumor. Day trade with 2% trailing stop.
- Henry: @JBed $AAOI In a world of lame rumors this one is pretty bad. A bunch of tweets saying there are a bunch of tweets about a takeover.
- bsafriet: @tjv821 $NVDA $AAOI Thanks!
- bsafriet: @Geewhiz $NVDA $AAOI Thank you for your compliment. I'm driven by something within to understand what is going on around me. I guess I'm like a dog with a bone, just won't give it up. The lesson learned here is that forward guidance always trumps yesterday's performance. The next few days will tell us what to do with $NVDA. I'm waiting for clarity before I make any adjustment to my position. Fortunately I've got a profit cushion that was partially hedged with options. My losses won't grow so I can afford to be patient for a few days. Hope your losses are are contained as well.
- bsafriet: @Ottawagreg $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA It is the basic human emotions of fear and greed. "All the guests are in a crowded ballroom and intend to leave before midnight when they know that they will turn into pumpkins. The problem is that there is no clock." -- Warren Buffet
- Ottawagreg: @bsafriet $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA I realize the greed aspect, but why is ER the trigger. Institutional organizations and most seasoned traders know what is in the report. In the case of NVDA yesterday, it seems to me that NVDA should have been selling off through the week if peeps did not like the ER or guidance. After the bell it is too late. At least for one like me, i do not have AH trading access.
- Ottawagreg: @Forexpro $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @rj7150 $AAOI $FN $SIMO $COHR $LRCX thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @mopick $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @JustJoe $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @bsafriet $AAOI $MTSI $COHR thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @optionswealth $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Mpower27: @Ottawagreg $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA how do they know what's in the report?
- vfr777: $AAOI looking at support holding around $62. buying small for a short term run to the 50day around $74.
- tjv821: @bsafriet $NVDA $AAOI great job
- issues: Zacks under "momentum" lists these: $ICHR $KRO $CC $AAOI $PETS
- humble: @issues $ICHR $KRO $CC $AAOI $PETS $KRO is this a short squeeze? Any of the others?
- issues: @humble $ICHR $KRO $CC $AAOI $PETS Good question. The only vol squeeze would be $PETS. shorts $AAOI 48% HUGE! $PETS 16% High. $KRO 9% and $ICHR and $CC small shorts.
- gwenzee: @Ottawagreg $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA You might try Nasdaq.com, click on Markets, click on Before or After markets. You can build your list and check those after and before markets open. Hope this helps.
|Stock Price||$USD 35.03|
Applied Optoelectronics Inc is a vertically integrated provider of fiber-optic networking products, for three networking markets: cable television, fiber-to-the-home and internet data center such as components, sub-assemblies and modules, among others.Request Video of AAOI
Already a member? Sign in here.
- February 21st, 2018 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- February 22nd, 2018 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 9.64 114.42%
- $USD 32.39 26.50%
- $USD 12.90 26.27%
- $USD 32.07 -20.02%
- $USD 6.83 -14.55%
- $USD 35.03 -14.53%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 53,000 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (53,000) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!